My take on making n/a power

JoshP

My buddy has an '00 2.5 RS, that he has owned for about 3 years now.  He bought it with 99k miles in amazing shape, with a spun bearing and we replaced the shortblock with an '08 Fozzy block we got for 100 bucks lol.  Anyway over the years we have picked away at getting bolt ons for it, with pretty decent success I guess.  Its basically at the point now that he needs tuning and engine work to take it any further I think. 

So here's the mod list:

- Stock motor.

- Streetlite 13.9 lb flywheel

- Perrin Light crank pulley

- OBX EL header, catless and OBX cat-back

- Short shifter

I think that gearing has a lot to do with it, because it is 4.11 which helps a lot.  But the car is a lot of fun to drive, still gets good fuel mileage.  The lw flywheel and pulley, along with the short shift make a really good combo too for that car.   I like it a lot better than my old wrx, and it's much better DD car imo.  We've been doing TSD rallies in this car for years, and had a ton of fun in it. 

Next year he's planning on rebuilding motor and WRX ecu hopefully.  He's got 04 STi struts and springs to swap on to it also. 

Anyway I guess my point is n.a can be a lot of fun too, really cheap and easy to work on etc.  It really isn't that many mods either.  the EJ251/3 are both great motors for what they are.   

SurlyOBS

You guys have figured out what I have been doing for a long while: having fun in a lightly modded N/A car. My RS has the same gearing, short shift and UEL headers. Add the intake and exhaust stuff and a great suspension setup and you have a great driving car with no headaches, no premium fuel and lower insurance
default_smile.png

I can have tons of fun without the added power. I enjoy my Subarus every winter!

And if you ever get to ride along in a true rally car or a really skilled driver you will see that N/A is just fine and the fun comes from improving your driving skills.

*Thanks Dan for the dirt drive ride along!*

Last edited by a moderator:

scubiecraig

I've always contemplated lightweight pulleys on my 07 n/a.  I'm assuming it just frees up the revs a bit for a bit more response?  Do you think it's really a worthwhile $ to function ratio?

JoshP

I wouldn't spend the money on a complete pulley set, but the crank pulley is worth it for sure.  The flywheel is much more dramatic difference though.  The way the engine revs and feels with those 2 is awesome. 

And yeah you can get CELs from lw flywheel + pulley, which he does but that's nothing bad. 

0025rs

I am the owner/operator of this Fine piece of Japanese machinery and i can tell you its a blast.  Felling the difference as we have gone alone one piece at a time has been worth all the money i have put into the car.  Now if i could just keep my wheel baring from going that would be the trick.      

Latest posts

Back