Oil filter heat shield, and oil questions.

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
I run the 5w30 subaru synth and ive noticed around 2k miles or so the oil starts to break down and lose (what seems like) quite a bit of viscosity. Im absolutely not a fan of that. Ive read our motors seem to really like rotella t-6 in 5w40, and this "shearing" of the oil is not nearly as bad/noticable.

Anyone have first hand experience with switching to rotella, and how much longer the oil stays nice and thick?

Related: Our oil filters are in a shitty spot being inches away from the exhaust manifold. Im no thermodynamics major or anything, but It doesn't take a genious to realize that our filter placement may (and does?) lead to unnecissary and avoidable cooking of the oil, possibly causing (definitely not helping!) this annoying thinning issue.

Besides one vendors thread (5 years old..) On nastysock, I havnt found anything in the way of an aftermarket oil filter heatshield. Has anybody made one themselves? Does anybody wrap or reflective tape their filters?

Im gonna try to make something up myself, simple enough concept from the pictures I saw on nabisco. Theirs was made out of carbon fiber that wrapped around 75% of the filter, attached with a hose clamp, and had gold foil on the face of it. Mine would be made from .032" aluminum sheet instead of carbon, but should be just as effective.... At least better than nothing!

Comments, questions, concerns?

Add an oil cooler if you are really concerned with the transfer of heat from the exhaust to the filter. There is much more heat going to the filter via the mating surfaces then is being added by the air around the filter.

If you really want to see how temperature effects the oil find a way to take oil temps at various points such as the oil pan, filter in and out, and what not. If the problem is truly temperature then you will find temps in excess of 180 degrees Fahrenheit.

The rotella oil is designed for diesel engines. This means it can handle more pressure and shearing force. Oil is all about the additives.

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Wrap your headers? That would help keep heat away.
My issue with wrapping the header is that itll trap moisture and salt and crap causing stupid corrosion

yes use rotella. its good oil that works well in these motors
Thanks mike, making the switch asap.

Add an oil cooler if you are really concerned with the transfer of heat from the exhaust to the filter. There is much more heat going to the filter via the mating surfaces then is being added by the air around the filter.If you really want to see how temperature effects the oil find a way to take oil temps at various points such as the oil pan, filter in and out, and what not. If the problem is truly temperature then you will find temps in excess of 180 degrees Fahrenheit.The rotella oil is designed for diesel engines. This means it can handle more pressure and shearing force. Oil is all about the additives.
I have a factory oil cooler, with a massive radiator type heat exchanger that sits in front of the actual radiator (pretty sure that's what it is?) Im interested in a filter heat sheild not because itll be an end all-fix all item, but its just another SIMPLE step that could be taken to improve our cars

Good info on why rotella is better too, im sure that's new info to some people.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
Are your headers stock? If they are already covered with heat Shields, there's no need to shield the oil filter. The oil also doesn't spend much time in the filter either. Also, unless you're loading the engine all the time, the exhaust temps will not be that high given the air surrounding the filter.

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
They are stock, but I just noticed that the heatshields have rotted off. Mabey ill take the mani off and wrap it. I suppose im not too overly worried about salt and moisture eating away at it, as it is stock. Big deal.

Probably still gonna make some sort of heatahield, its something to do
default_tongue.png
I wish accessports read oil temp.. They read everything else!

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
reason why accessport doesn't read oil temp is because there is no oil temp sensor on our cars. need to get an aftermarket one.

Even without heat shields, it still won't add enough heating effect to really worry about it unless you're racing it, which i doubt you are doing.

i-wagon

I don't remember what you drive, want to say obxt. The turbo exhaust manifolds are cast, they'll take a long time to rot away, even with wrap, and as hot as they get there shouldn't be much moisture there. And I'm thinking of switching to the rotella in my na

Last edited by a moderator:

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
I don't remember what you drive, want to say obxt. The turbo exhaust manifolds are cast, they'll take a long time to rot away, even with wrap, and as hot as they get there shouldn't be much moisture there. And I'm thinking of switching to the rotella in my na
Didnt know they were cast, thanks. Ill definitely be wrapping them sometime in the spring, possibly the up pipe too. Gotta keep engine bay temps as low as possible, gonna be running a short ram.

i-wagon

I wrapped my retrofitted cast rex headers, you can just about grab them when they're hot, but I went mental with the wrap

Also, not to thread jack, but has anyone run the t6 in a na?

i-wagon

I used the dei stuff at advance. Grab plenty of the stainless locking ties. Think I did the 2"x50' roll

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Awesome thanks! As for running rotella in your n/a.. I dont see what it would hurt? Do you have the same shearing issue i was explaining?

i-wagon

Bah, I already get 23 can't get much worse. Mine starts consuming after 2k, was on mobil1, then castrol edge.

Maxxguy25RS

I have noticed the same thing as I wagon has on my 05 n/a. Again, not to thread jack. I tried to find t6 for my last LOF, but the zone was out of it. I hope it's not the engine having major problems, and something simple as a different oil. I used castrol edge 5w30, I'm checking it in 1k miles to see what's what.

Latest posts

Back