One rotor hotter than others...

Ryan

So a couple days ago I installed all new rotors and pads on my 02 WRX. Everything went fine, I broke in the pads correctly, but I'm starting to think that my front left brake is doing more of the work or possibly dragging. Reason for this being the front left brake gets substantially hotter than the other three, and the anti-rust white coating on the new rotors has worn off on this rotor a lot quicker than the other three. It's also giving off a distinct smell that I can't describe. The brakes don't make any rubbing or grinding sounds when the car is moving, only a little bit when making slow left or right turns (hoping this is just the new pads breaking in).

Any thoughts, suggestions?

EvilAsPie

Sounds like a sticking caliper.

The smell and hotness are a good indication that the caliper is not letting go all the way. Does the car roll on hill easily?

Rightseat

if you used aftermarket pads, they sometimes like to stick in the calipers...have had to file ears of the pads slightly to get a proper fit. do you remeber having a hard time inserting pads into calipers?

otherwise, make sure the slots in the calipers are clean of grunge; lube ears of the pads LIGHTLY with brake lube; make sure the anti-rattle clips are not all wrinkly/rusty, etc

you DID check to see that the caliper can move easily on the glide pins? these like to get crudded up over time and if you don't clean em out, the calipers can't adapt easly to the new thicker pads and tend to stick. I bet this is your culprit.

Ryan

The car rolls fine, and like I said makes no rubbing sound when moving. I didn't have any problems pushing the piston back when I installed the new pads, and they went back on pretty easily...

Rightseat

...so you didn't check glide pins... :angel12: :bom:

WRX calipers are sliding type. they need to be able to slide side to side to adjust to diff thickness pads...if glide pins aren't letting calips slide side to side, esp with fresh thick pads, they like to stick and heat up.

the glide pins are the little bolty-type things where the caliper bolts onto the caliper brackets. for a quick check, just undo lower caliper bolt and flip caliper up out of the way. pull the pin back and forth (it's got a rubber bootie around it). this needs to move in/out with finger pressure. if not, you just found your prob. on an 02 car with lots o miles, it's almost certain the glide pins need some love.

really need to check glide pins on both upper and lower fixing bolts, and all around the 4 calipers.

Ryan

Well I brought it in to the shop yesterday (had no time to look at this myself). I got a call back today saying the piston was indeed stuck, and they had to rebuild the caliper. The bill came out $245 !!! Wow... does this sound right to you for this kind of job? They haven't even had the car for a day yet.

inski

New calipers are way less money. But yeah, new or rebuild, with bleeding and install 245 is about right

Latest posts

Back