P0500 repair.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Just posted this one to USMB, figured I'd throw it up here too!

I had P0500, Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction on my 96 legacy manual. But it has been confirmed this solution will also work on an automatic. I assume this would work for any 2nd gen, but have only personally seen this issue on my 96.

The speedometer would read normally, but I would get the CEL P0500, computer went into limp mode, and I had funky idle/stalling issues.

Here's how it works: The signal goes from the speed censor to the speedo head in the gauge cluster. This does two things, shows your speed, and sends a different signal to the computer.

The problem: The signal isn't making it to the computer, which I confirmed with my OBD2 scan tool.

The solution: The speedo head is held into the gauge cluster with 4 screws. They also transmit the signal from the back PCB to the speedo head. The screws can back loose and cause this CEL. Simply tighten the screws up, and you're all set! A picture speaks a thousand words, the screws in question are circled in red.

img_1523.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Interesting. Did you loctite them so they wont back out again?
I didn't. It was my fault they were loose. This was after my gauge cluster pooped. I got another one and took it apart to change the mileage to what's on my car. I didn't tighten the screws down enough, I guess. So I just tightened them up, and was good to go.

Then recently someone on USMB with a 96 auto was having the same problem I had, after about a page of posts and guessing I posted my experience, he tightened the screws, and was good to go. So I guess they can come loose on their own. Thought it was rare, but now someone else says they have the code and weird stuff going on. So dunno.

It's in the USRM over there now, so hopefully it'll help some people out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
It's ultimatesubaru.org. Ultimate Subaru Message Board.

USRM = Ultimate Subaru Repair Manual. TONS and TONS of great guides been posted over the last 15 years that site has been around.

Latest posts

Back