Pedro, the tire cop

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
Pedro, you seem to know every tire and wheel combo that works, what about 215/60r16's on a 02 WRX wagon? The diameter goes from a 24.9" stock to a 26.2". It's a Forester tire that I want to try. Long story.

R

redlinerally

Don't worry.. he'll set you straight!
default_wink.png

Rightseat

foresta size likely to rub on spring perch in rear. likelihood depends on sidewall profile of tire--for instance square shoulder tires like Yokohams likely to rub, rounded shape like RE92 less likely

the diameter is probably more of an issue. more than about 5% diff in diameter tends to confuse ABS computer, ECU, etc. larger diameter is like having taller gearing -- maybe OK for gas mileage but sucky for sporty driving (slower acel), taller stance makes for tippy feeling on the road.

DG

part time Tire Cop

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
foresta size likely to rub on spring perch in rear. likelihood depends on sidewall profile of tire--for instance square shoulder tires like Yokohams likely to rub, rounded shape like RE92 less likely

the diameter is probably more of an issue. more than about 5% diff in diameter tends to confuse ABS computer, ECU, etc. larger diameter is like having taller gearing -- maybe OK for gas mileage but sucky for sporty driving (slower acel), taller stance makes for tippy feeling on the road.

DG

part time Tire Cop
+1, but I do know that there are guys running 245-45-17's on DS imprezas with little to no rubbing issues on AutoX courses. and you are only about .2 in +/- depending on tire manufacturers. you could probably pull it off. but I woudn't want the gearing that woudl cause.

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
I didn't even think of the gearing. It was going to be for the winter. I'm putting my snows on the wife's Brokeback, her stock WRX wheels with all seasons on mine. I noticed her a/s don't look too good...

Her car came stock with 205/70R15, which is the same as 215/60R16 diameter wise, which I'm putting on hers in the spring.

I was gonna run her new a/s for the winter and give them back to her in the spring.

Looks like I'll be getting snows for me, new Michelins in the spring for her.

Thanks a lot guys. The last thing I want to do is change gearing for the worse.

Rightseat

tried the g/f's Forester steelies on my Rex wag last year, with 207/70-15 cooper snows....rears fit semi-OK, maybe a quarter inch of clearance against the rear strut spring perches. I'd worry about that little clearance, exp with a load onboard.

fronts seemed to fit A-OK. dropped car off the jack, and it had this kind of macho lifted 4x4 look, cool.

fired it up...and the 'effin thing would NOT move! WTF???!!!

15" steelies were jammed over the front brakes. fricken' DOH! :
default_wink.png
:
default_biggrin.png
:
default_smile.png
:
default_smile.png
default_biggrin.png

aaahhh, the joys of subie experiments.

DG

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
lol, that's a good one! I have a spare set of 15's I was thinking of trying.

So I guess there is hope. I'll have to try some launches and see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back