Rebuild or Replace?

WaltzRX

Greetings from bangor. New member here and unfortunately my first post isn't a positive one. Got a flashing CEL in my '03 Wrx wagon on my way to work the other day so I brought it in hoping it was maybe plugs or coils causing the misfire. Turns out the the psi in #4 cylinder is coming up at 50ish. I don't know whats causing it so I am wondering what you guys think on the subject. Is it worth having the engine torn into to find out the issue or should I save myself some time and money and start looking for a reasonably priced used engine? I don't really have the funds for any major project but I would really hate to have to sell the car

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
a simple leakdown test will tell you if it's bottom end(rings, ringlands) or if it's an intake or exhaust valve issue. Do that and then you know if you just need a bottom end, or a replacement cylinder head.

it could even tell you if it is headgasket related if you get bubbles in the coolant, but typically if it's headgasket, then cylinder 2 would have low psi too.

WaltzRX

Happen to know a good subie garage around the bangor area? I've yet to find someone that's seems to know subarus very well. I don't want to end up at the dealership paying 100+ dollars an hour for labor.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
ray gosselin in the Bomarc industrial park, i can get his number when i get to work tonight for you. Anyone can do a leakdown test. If i had an air compressor and a leakdown tester, i would do it for you. I live in holden.

WaltzRX

Also, I don't believe its head gasket related. I haven't seen any of the signs from that. No bubbles, change in coolant level, or white smoke. If its something with the rings, am I gonna have to worry about any damage in the cylinder?

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
possibly, but you won't know until you disassemble. either way, it's possible to rehone and replace the problem piston and rings, but why do that when you could just as easily replace the shortblock. it would cost more, but you won't have to worry about clearances being to great with the rehone.

WaltzRX

Alright, I guess my first step is to see about getting my car in. I'm hoping for the best, I don't have a couple grand to drop on it.

Thanks for the info and speedy response. I'm already missing my car, especially with snow coming soon

WaltzRX

possibly, but you won't know until you disassemble. either way, it's possible to rehone and replace the problem piston and rings, but why do that when you could just as easily replace the shortblock. it would cost more, but you won't have to worry about clearances being to great with the rehone.
at this point, you're rebuilding. Would it be less of a hassle to get another already rebuilt/used?

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
You could try looking, but probably be more expensive. Idk how much an ej205 longblock is.

Rays number is 207-478-2989

Latest posts

Back