Removing studs from snow tires

inski

I picked up a great set of Nordman 4 snow tires with studs. Beefy tread. Noisy studs. After a quick search on youtube my wife found several ways to remove studs from snow tires. Today, we dug in and started the labor intensive process.

Basically there a couple methods. One is grabbing the stud with dykes or side cutters and pulling and twisting. The skinnier the head of the tool the better. This worked well with my bosses tires which were unmounted. Approx 40 minutes per tire. 2-3 beers required.

Another method is prying them out with a skinny screw driver. This worked best for me. My tires were already mounted on rims and pressured up so we weren't fighting tire flex. 20 minutes was the norm but it is hard on your hands. Doing them off car is the only way. 2-3 beers required

Theres another method, squirting WD40 or similar around the studs then going after them. I did not try this as I was plucking studs in the kitchen and didn't want to soil or stink up the kitchen.

Check YouTube. Removing studs is simple but tiring (pun) but doable. You're just routing the mushroom shaped base from its captive spot in the tire. Sore hands are the norm.

Jamey

Dykes are easyest way , that's what I use when removing studs. I only use them to take out few tho , ones I screw up putting in lol .. Btw as of Friday I've studded 1462 tires since oct
default_biggrin.png

Jamey

Dislike Matt lol , and yah it's crazy put this in perspective. I have used 32 cases of studs there's 10,000 studs a case
default_smile.png

i-wagon

Find 2wd truck, jack up rear end put tires on, leave in the air. Wind that thing up til it runs out of engine and transmission. centripetal force should do the rest

Jamey

Lol , same idea when I had my Camaro studed tires lasted me to end if TFT driveway 200 feet posi = no more studs .. And it sparkles lol

inski

" I was out in the fluffies and ripped some killa moonpies with my mad sick Scooby Doo, yo."

^^just doesn't have the same ring
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back