Rota wheels.

dakota

I'm thinking about getting some Rotas for my sti but I have so many different things about them. Town fair tire told me they break all the time under the power from a subaru, but i see many many subarus with them. What do you guys think? Have any of you fellow subie brothers had an issue with Rotas?

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Town fair is nearly the worst place to get advice.

I raced on Rotas, they didn't break. The guy I sold them to raced on them, they didn't break. He sold them to a hill climb guy who raced on them, they didn't break. they are all certified and tested.

dakota

Thanks guys! I'm def gonna get either torques or grids i was just kinda iffy with the things ive been hearing but i figured id ask my subie brothers on the forum for some advice aha
default_woohoo.gif

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
There were some casting flaws on a few that led to a huge outcry if I remember right?

Most people on here go oh they're fine oh they're fine.

Then a dude bent one bombing around the roads doing setup at NEFR last summer so I don't know what to think. I wouldn't buy 'em unless they were for commuting/autocross.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
lots of the hate for Rotas comes from the fact that as aftermarket equipment, ppl are usually opting for larger size wheels and lower profile tires. this is a recipe for dented wheels, no matter who made em.

35- or 40- series tires barely qualify as 'rim protectors' and certainly aren't fit for sporty dirt road driving. there's a reason rally cars run 205/70-15s on gravel!

Stein

Stein
Just keep in mind what Nigel just posted:

The thicker the tire is, the more it pads/protects the wheel.

skipow

i wonder how much stronger / if at all, the rota gravels are over other gravel wheels.

braid wheels are sooooo sick but very expensive.

AiRX

I have two sets. 18x8 GRAVELS they were a great first set of wheels. I did hit a set of rail road tracks at like 40, only one bent slightly. Had it repaired, mint to this day.

New set last year 18x9.5 GRIDS and needless to say...I slow down for RR crossings!

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
how has that not happened to me with all the curbs ive smashed this year... my wheels are knockoffs of rota torques.. a knockoff of a knockoff lol
he has them made by Fifteen52 and worked to have them break before the more expensive suspension pieces.

Oh and AiRX, I've bent BBC RC's on rail crossings. So it isn't a Rota thing, it's an 18" wheel in Maine thing.

dakota

Town fair is nearly the worst place to get advice.

I raced on Rotas, they didn't break. The guy I sold them to raced on them, they didn't break. He sold them to a hill climb guy who raced on them, they didn't break. they are all certified and tested.
That guy is an idiot. Rotas are perfectly fine.
There have always been mixed opinions on Rotas.
I think the old Rotas had flaws but my rota torques are fine.
Do you guys know what the smallest offset is that I could get? I want the wheels to kinda poke out but Obvs dont wanna buy some and them not clear brembos

Latest posts

Back