Slight Ticking Noise

Gate4jg

So I dunno if I am going crazy because I havnt started my STI in a very long time and I forgot what the car sounds like but when the engine revs over 2.5k it starts to tick lightly. Its an 04 STI with only 37,000 miles on it and this is the first time I started it in 4 months.........

Last edited by a moderator:

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Does it still tick after it warms up fully (aka, heater is putting out full blast). If no ticking once warm, no worries. Often Subie boxers will tick like hell on restart after sitting a long time.

I like to poke the Lucas Oil Treatment to em, makes the oil super clingy and really minimizes valvetrain/piston clatter on a cold start-up.

lol on second thought, you should probly sell me that old tired POS before it blows up like they always do! =;^P

Gate4jg

Does it still tick after it warms up fully (aka, heater is putting out full blast). If no ticking once warm, no worries. Often Subie boxers will tick like hell on restart after sitting a long time.

I like to poke the Lucas Oil Treatment to em, makes the oil super clingy and really minimizes valvetrain/piston clatter on a cold start-up.

lol on second thought, you should probly sell me that old tired POS before it blows up like they always do! =;^P
Still ticks when engine is warm. Not selling it. lol

RyanR

///|||\\\|||///|||\\&#092
The valvetrain and injectors will be noisier than usual if it has sat for any length of time greater than a few days.  The longer it sits, the longer it takes to get back to normal levels.  My 05 has had a drivers side tick since it was new, and all of the valves are in proper adjustment.

Most likely nothing to worry about it.  But we could fear monger you into selling it if you want 
default_additional_thumbsup.gif

Gate4jg

HAHA thanks. As long as I know if I start it up again it wont make anything go horribly wrong I will be happy. It wont be out the garage until april anyways so if there was anything wrong with if I wont do anything until the roads are salt free.

First person that will offer a NSX or a type 65 coupe then maybe I will get let my subaru go and they have to throw in the first born. lol

i-wagon

Try having someone put a stethoscope on the injectors, mine are noisy as heck. Lucas helps a bit too. Also, if you have a skid plate they echo noise back up that you normally wouldn't hear

i-wagon

They say 20% capacity, I'd go about 10 to start. I've got a little bit in my na with rotella 5-40

Latest posts

Back