Speeding Ticket ARRG!!! %&^$*#!

Iboc_C64

Got another speeding ticket this morning about 1000ft down the road from the office building I work at on Old Winthrop road in Augusta. He got me comming accross the overpass. He says I was doing 40 in a 25 but I thought I was doing more like 30. I had to go back and look because I could have sworn that it was 40 until you cross the bridge in to the residential area from the 40mph zone. I went back and took photos of the 25mph sign standing about 10' behind a 7' or 8' stand of Japanese Knotweed. It was on an old post, but the sign looked new and so did the screws holding the sign on. I was stopped for doing 65 in a 50 about 6 months back in manchester, my first ticket in 5 years so I plead guilty rather than try to fight it. Now I am regretting that becuase it may be more difficult to fight this one even though I think I may have a case to argue. Anyone know how long the limit has been 25mph on that bridge? There is no limit signs between Western Avenue and the sign just before the bridge, but if you turn left instead on to Leighton Rd. the limit there is 40mph. On top of this I asked if he had me on Radar, he says he did, then I asked if it was still on the radar's viewer, he said yes, so I asked if I could see it and he said he never lets anyone look at his Radar because he doesn't think its safe. I think he was stonewalling me. What do you guys think? Incidentally he also gave me a verbal warning about my Tinted Plate covers. First time anyone has mentioned the plate covers. I want to fight the ticket, what do you guys think? I'm almost 29 and have had several other speeding violations since getting my License at 16, but nothing other than speeding.

MikeD

N/A All The Way!!
I'm on this section of road often...usually I slow down to 30ish on the bridge. I'm not too sure about the limit on the way down the road from 202 to Leighton Road though...normally I go about 40ish. I don't know man, looks like the heat just doesn't like you.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
get your court date, show up, bring your pix. hopefully the officer won't show and you get to walk. talk to DA and see if maybe you can bargain down to lower charge.

otherwise it usu comes down to one question from the judge: "yes or no, were you speeding?" after that there's no argument.

good luck, sounds like you can use it.

Iboc_C64

I was already dealing with a bunch of dentists bills, unnexpected doctors bills, other expeditures and I bought a new Android phone. I was also getting ready to buy new brakes and get prepare for 60,000 mile service recommended maintenance. Then it hailed on my car, then I get stopped for speeding. This just isn't my month I guess. All this and I still need to be ready for my Best friends wedding next month, which I'm supposed to help plan the Bachelors party for. I think I am gonna pull my hair out.
default_additional_spin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

i-wagon

The manual on uniform traffic conntrol devices might be a good refrence for you. If the sign is far enough off the road to have crud growing in front of it, it might be too far off the road to be enforcable. Also, if there isn't a sign on the other end of said 25mph speed limit zone it isn't enforcable. On a third note email call mdot and get the email address of the gentleman in charge of speed limits. The state is the only authority thatcan set speed limits in this state, and said gentleman told me once at a seminar that unless his dept set the speed limit on a stretch of road, it it... you guessed it, unenforcable

Iboc_C64

Excellent information I-wagon, I appreciate it. That actually may be very helpful. I will have to look at the other end. I know that specifically at the other end of the bridge there is an empty sign post. Who knows what was supposed to be there, but there is just a post now and I took pictures of it. I also took pictures of the Japanese Knotweed in front of the speed limit sign in question just before the bridge comming from Western Ave. I don't recall there being a speed limit sign at the other end of the street, but there is one going in the same direction as the other one about half way down the road. It is the bridge that I was supposedly "caught speeding" on though. I also read that his radar detector may have a minimum and a maximum range and I doubt he was more than 50' from me at the time he first saw me.

i-wagon

Re reading your post, if the area on the other side of the bridge was obviously residential, it doesn't need a 25mph sign, it should be assumed. Just don't want you to rely on false info.... sometimes my useless knowledge comes out faster than I can process

GClark

You were caught speeding(5 over is still speeding) and now you have to face the consequences. The best you can do is hope that it gets knocked down to a lower speed.

jaKe

>>><<<>>><<<
Also as far as tinted plate covers if you read the state inspection manual, going by memory,(I am state inspection certified) any cover over the plate that affects the ability to see it is illegal, clear is ok... kinda but tinted technically can read as illegal. Like I said do not have a manual in front of me and going by years of memory. possibly can check this at maine.gov website I beleive up to date inspection manual is there somewhere. But my advise to anyone is, run a front plate (drag it on the ground off the front bumper with wire ties or whatever as long as its on front) and don't use any covers, or drive a pos like my car.
default_additional_ponder.gif

Nate

Founding Father
^^This. Why is it always the cops fault? Or the bad signs? Or trees in front of the signs? How about slowing down?? Just a though.

If you go to court and it comes down to your word against the cops. YOU LOSE.

I was always under to impression that if you ask a cop to see the radar then they have to show you no matter what. And as far as the plate covers, one of my parents was actually spoken to about them.

Impreza05

I always showed the radar. I doesn't have to have a reading on it though.We have to make a judgement and the radar is just a tool to verify it. Talk to the D.A. get it knocked down ask for payment plan. In drivers ed we are taught that built up areas are 25 and open road is 45 unless otherwise posted.

Iboc_C64

Lol, Im keeping the phone regardless, its worse than a crackberry. Yeah I knew it was a 25mph zone as soon as the bridge stops because its residential, but it was more or less commercial before the bridge and lower density comming from a 35mph zone. Anyway if I do take it to court, I will probably just try to get it reduced. Im not really that concerned about the money for the fine, its the points off my license and insurance rates that scare me. I will probably have 1 or 2 points left after this, it only takes two 15mph or over offences to lose 12 points. Due to having 5 years of clean driving (before the ticket back in winter) that I know I had at least 13 points to lose. I belive its 3 years without offence gains you an extra point. Im not sure if you continue to gain points after the first gained spare point. Worse comes to worse I just accept it and drive paranoid and easy for a year until I get my points back. It wasn't the cops fault obviously, even though I don't believe I was going as fast as he said It probably wasn't far off and according to the signage in place, I was speeding despite sign obstructions. As the saying goes, ignorance of the law is not evidence of innocence. Ultimately I will probably have to pay a fine and hope they reduce the points even though I know its not likely. If it was 15 over doing 70 in 55 I would not be as upset as I would feel more deserving, its these low speed infractions that I find frustrating. For the record, by the time I hit the pavement on the opposite side of the bridge I was doing the speed limit. I looked in to whether or not he had to show me the radar, they in fact do not. Although I think it was a little lame, it was his option. The tinted covers are comming off too, no need to give the police reason to bother me. Thanks for the encouraging and not so encouraging words guys, its good to hear all oppinions, especially now that I have had a chance to sleep on it.

Iboc_C64

Big question are you running a dector ?
Yeah, which if I get pulled over, increases my chances of getting a ticket I know. But I figure the number of previous tickets pretty much ensures that anyway so I figure its worth it. I run a Beltronics, RX-65 hard wired through the roof near the rear view mirror. He may have seen it but I turned it off with the ingnition of the car before he approached my vehicle. He used a laser or pulse according to the alert that I recieved so I had no warning until he had me.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Thanks for the encouraging and not so encouraging words guys, its good to hear all oppinions, especially now that I have had a chance to sleep on it.
we promise to come visit you in the pokey!
default_tongue.png

..and will bring a nice choco cake with hacksaw blades baked in
default_additional_sillylol.gif

Iboc_C64

Oh ha ha. Don't worry this seems to be my cycle anyway, go 4 or 5 years of no tickets and get hit twice in one year. This is the third time that my luck has played out in such a way. I guess those who don't learn from history are bound to repeat it. Maybe I should worry though becuase they say "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome" lol. Which reminds me, anyone see the "Definition of Insanity" Farcry 3 trailer?
default_cool.png

Latest posts

Back