stacking subtle lifts?

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
So my yard ornament forester is soon going to be torn apart and the "restoration" will begin. I want to lift it 2" and I have one question:

Would it be safe to stack 2-1" strut lift blocks together to achieve (obviously) my 2" lift? Or could that potentially pose problems? Mabey get the 2 blocks tacked together with a tig? Or is there a 2" lift readily available?

I guess that's more than one question.. but thanks!

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
It'll work fine. Obviously you have to get extra long bolts. Tack welded them together wouldn't hurt, but is definitely not necessary.

It will put more stress in the axles, especially the fronts, but it's still within the range they will be ok in.

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
It'll work fine. Obviously you have to get extra long bolts. Tack welded them together wouldn't hurt, but is definitely not necessary. It will put more stress in the axles, especially the fronts, but it's still within the range they will be ok in.
Thanks bratman! Got big plans for this car. It WILL be bigger and bladder than yours ;-) (if you still have it, I havnt spent any meaningful time on the boards in quite some time)

IBratmanI

Thanks bratman! Got big plans for this car. It WILL be bigger and bladder than yours ;-) (if you still have it, I havnt spent any meaningful time on the boards in quite some time)
Lol. You need to look around in the members journals. My forester is lowered on coil overs now! And my Loyale is almost finished with an EJ22 motor swap!

IBratmanI

I'm not sure if you've bought the subtle lift yet, but check out paranoidfabrications.com They make lifts for subarus too and are a lot cheaper, and they are great quality.

And when ordering, remember that 02-07 impreza is the same as 98-08 forester.

injulen

I'm going a different route with the lift in my yard ornament. 2" body lift blocks, one on each strut mount bolt. Standby for a link...

http://offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?t=3269

One thing to keep in mind is that lifting the car is going to change your camber. If you want to adjust it you will need to add a method of doing so because the rear end doesn't come with a means to change camber from factory beyond the tiny bit of play in the bottom strut bolts. And the front can only adjust so far stock too.

SUBARUDE

injulen

You can slot the top mount holes, replace the lower strut bolts with camber bolts, or spend some money on adjustable control arms.

IBratmanI

Eh, I know a few guys with 3" on the front lol. Axles wear out faster, but they still keep going! My 2" worked great for me, never had any issues. Putting Forester struts on an Impreza, gives you 2" of lift, so it's not much different.

SUBARUDE

I'm going a different route with the lift in my yard ornament. 2" body lift blocks, one on each strut mount bolt. Standby for a link...http://offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?t=3269One thing to keep in mind is that lifting the car is going to change your camber. If you want to adjust it you will need to add a method of doing so because the rear end doesn't come with a means to change camber from factory beyond the tiny bit of play in the bottom strut bolts. And the front can only adjust so far stock too.
That's kind of hairy looking and I hope you like you car full of water cause you won't be able to seal up the back and water and dirt will fill the back strut towers up just my opinion but it's your car

IBratmanI

I'm going a different route with the lift in my yard ornament. 2" body lift blocks, one on each strut mount bolt. Standby for a link...

http://offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?t=3269

One thing to keep in mind is that lifting the car is going to change your camber. If you want to adjust it you will need to add a method of doing so because the rear end doesn't come with a means to change camber from factory beyond the tiny bit of play in the bottom strut bolts. And the front can only adjust so far stock too.
I had something very similar to these on my Forester. I used steel cylindrical blocks, threaded all the way through. And my buddy has been using the same thing for a few years now.

This is his 02 Forester with a 2" lift and Super Swampers

injulen

I'm going a different route with the lift in my yard ornament. 2" body lift blocks, one on each strut mount bolt. Standby for a link...http://offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?t=3269One thing to keep in mind is that lifting the car is going to change your camber. If you want to adjust it you will need to add a method of doing so because the rear end doesn't come with a means to change camber from factory beyond the tiny bit of play in the bottom strut bolts. And the front can only adjust so far stock too.
That's kind of hairy looking and I hope you like you car full of water cause you won't be able to seal up the back and water and dirt will fill the back strut towers up just my opinion but it's your car
1. This is for my totaled legacy that is already a mess.

2. I'm just going to make some plates to seal the hole.

3. The guy that started that thread drove daily for two years and abused the heck out of it. He bent a strut when he hit a pothole while drifting and it didn't affect the lift blocks or bolts at all.

IBratmanI

You use the steel dust covers, I never had any water in mine.

SUBARUDE

Yes but what you and burliegh use is stationary those blocks in the pic don't fit the bolts and would allow for movement

injulen

Yes but what you and burliegh use is stationary those blocks in the pic don't fit the bolts and would allow for movement
Lock washers and torqued down, I don't think I'll see much movement. Also thinking about some nylok nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:

IBratmanI

Lock washers and torqued down, I don't think I'll see much movement. Also thinking about some nylok nuts.
If you want to go that route, why don't you just get some 1/4" thick square steel stock. Drill holes on each side. bolt them to the struts, then bolt them to the car. That's how many od the old school Subaru guys lift their cars, and then wheel the shit out of them!

SUBARUDE

Yes but those are body lift block for a truck and I've seen them crack on the trucks which is a less stressful area then where your putting them but if your just making a off-road buggy then it's not a huge deal beat it till it breaks
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back