State Inspection Manual Updated 7-20-12

jaKe

>>><<<>>><<<
Thought many on here would like to know the State of Maine has updated state inspection rules. Most all changes I would say are better for drivers and or stations due to reduction in non safety related issues being dropped, and some stuff that just didn't seem applicable anymore. Example, moisture in lights no longer fail, small cracks in mirrors, CV or steering boots...

See description of changes near beginning of manual and go to applicable section for exact laws and rejection criteria.

See attached new manual here: http://maine.gov/dps/msp/vehicles_inspections/documents/InspectionManualEffective7.20.12.pdf

I recommend save a copy or the link for your own benefit when the time comes.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Some of it I get, some I don't. It's good to tell people they have a bad CV, but if it fails, the car just breaks down. So ya, it doesn't really need to be on there.

Mirrors, meh, whatever. Nobody uses them anyways. What difference does it make..

Though I have no idea why they're taking the moisture in lights one out. It corrodes the electrical stuff in there and makes them stop working, along with poor visibility. I see that as a safety issue. Before I go to inspection I take the bulbs out and heat gun my moistury lights as to pass, heh. But most people don't...

In all, it looks like they made it a lot easier for stations. Like the stupid lock and key rule, not like most places actually did that anyway. And lol, headlight aiming. We had the most useless machine when I worked at the shop. It always had the lights aimed too low, it was useless.

In all, it looks like they got rid of some of the ridiculous rules that nobody gave a shit about anyway.

i-wagon

We drive truck, can't function without mirrors. I even added convex towing mirrors. Good truck for moisture in lights: weep hole in the bottom if the housing, worked good on the old mercury lynx

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I was completely kidding about the mirror thing... I too, have a CDL. I know how useful mirrors are. I was making a statement about how useless some drivers are, how often has someone almost merged into you on the highway because they didn't know how to use their mirrors...

Legacy22GT

I like these changes. some of them make sense.

"Clear lenses on signals and brakes are now legal."

the ricers will be happy about that

Maxxguy25RS

Its interesting to read the full list. Some cars that would have failed last week would have passed this week. But a lot of the changes now tell you to use" your training experiance and knowledge" to pass or fail a vehicle. I agree, a lot of the items that we look at are just common sence.

Matt

So I love this....... You don't have visors anymore and you don't have to have a working washer system...... So in the winter when the sun is low and visibility sucks because it's right in your eyes and of course you've got salt and sand and whatever building up on your windshield......you usually just clear the window with the washer system but now it doesn't work and you can't see a damn thing. I see many accidents in the future.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
So I love this....... You don't have visors anymore and you don't have to have a working washer system...... So in the winter when the sun is low and visibility sucks because it's right in your eyes and of course you've got salt and sand and whatever building up on your windshield......you usually just clear the window with the washer system but now it doesn't work and you can't see a damn thing. I see many accidents in the future.

stimulating the economy!!

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Have you actually ever checked someone's washer fluid to see if it works?

Never had that done to my cars.

jaKe

>>><<<>>><<<
Have you actually ever checked someone's washer fluid to see if it works?

Never had that done to my cars.
I sat in on the informational meeting on this yesterday at EMCC, the gentleman going over the changes said the idea behind this change is if someone doesn't fill them they will not function anyway. And again they are immediately concerned with safety and people not having money to fix items such as washers immediately if broken. And also I believe they think common sense should prevail for most people who will want washers working especially in winter and spring to keep visibility on road. But there's always the guy throwing snow on the windshield to clean it (me).

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I sat in on the informational meeting on this yesterday at EMCC, the gentleman going over the changes said the idea behind this change is if someone doesn't fill them they will not function anyway. And again they are immediately concerned with safety and people not having money to fix items such as washers immediately if broken. And also I believe they think common sense should prevail for most people who will want washers working especially in winter and spring to keep visibility on road. But there's always the guy throwing snow on the windshield to clean it (me).
I do that, I'll take a handfull of snow and clean all the grit off the window. It works fantastic! But when I'm driving and I get a huge wave of gritty crap on my window, the only way to clear it off sometimes is with the washer.

Matt

Unfortunately I worked at Vip where they drive crappy cars and don't care about the important things. This will end badly. I guarantee it.

Maxxguy25RS

Unfortunately I worked at Vip where they drive crappy cars and don't care about the important things. This will end badly. I guarantee it.
Yup, there were some aweful cars that came through those doors. Were you there for the eclipse that had the ball joint that was literally falling out and the girl who had the car didn't want to fix it? That one scared me a little bit.

jaKe

>>><<<>>><<<
I shouldn't tell you guys that I heard in future will be even more cuts to regulations then...

Latest posts

Back