Stock tires are worn, replace or upgrade?

MuddyWRX

Well as the title says, its probably time to replace the wires on my '11 wrx. Bad alignment wore the inner edge of the tire, so most places won't mount them in place of my snow tires. Basically no tread left on the inner "shoulder" of the tire. Great tread on 95% of the tire other than that though. I can get them mounted, but is it worth it or should I just suck it up and replace? And if I replace, is there any benefit to changing the tire/rim size?

I have the stock 235/45R17 I think they are? Stockers, anyways. I know it would look better with more tire and different rims, but I'm trying to justify the cost when I could just put a good set of stock sized tires on and be done. I don't track it, really I just push its limits a little.

Any thoughts?

MuddyWRX

How about recommendations for a summer tire to replace the stock dunlops? Something that will handle 25K miles a year and perform as well as the stock ones did, but hopefully without the big pricetag?

Jamey

null_zps5d9b8860.jpg
nice tread design. I actually drove these in a snow storm they weren't that bad.

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
I just put on some goodyear eagle gts, not bad in my opinion. 788$ mounted,balanced, and filled with nitrogen from stupid tire warehouse

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Nitto NeoGen: if you want quiet and long life. it was pretty easy to get 60k out of those before we sold the car. 

Hankook Ventus S1 EVO was a fantastic gripping tire.  It lasted quite a long time 55k before we sold that car

Hankook Ventus V12 lasted 60k on the WRX, gripped well, no complaints other than directional so no side to side swapping

hankook RS3's will not last very long but they will grip like nothing you can imagine.  And they will be loud

Falken Ziex 912.  These wear like iron, they grip like a stock tire.  I find them a little loud, but they are cheap

Kumho Ecsta SPT: Grip very well, esepcially in the rain.  wear was 40k ish and they got loud.  Like really loud.

Falken Azenis 615: Grip like RS3's Cheaper than RS3's wear will be around 30k if you are careful and they will get loud

Honestly, get the Hankook S1 Evo.  I wish I bought more of those.  They will be going on the Lexus when the stockers wear out.

Last edited by a moderator:

MuddyWRX

Thanks for the recommendations, I will be looking into most of those. The ones people got 50K miles+ interest me the most, I put on way to many miles.

The stockers I might run for a while still anyways. If you look at Jamey's picture (thanks for posting) they are pretty much worn on the inside exactly from where his thumb is to the sidewall. Everything else is half tread+

I just got BFG G force sport comp-2. I like them. Before that I had Kumho ectsa spt and hated them I thought I was going to die many times in the rain.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I would buy Nitto NeoGen or the Hankook S1 EVO again any day of the week.  My WRX is closing in on 200k so it has seen many shoes.  My wife's two GLi's have seen well in excess of 100k and a few sets of tires.

69360, funny you had issues in the rain with the SPT's, a few years ago they were the go to rain AutoX tire.  I always had superb wet grip with mine until they were worn.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
don't bother trying them in the snow.  It isn't quite useless, but damn near close.  The only winter I drove on them was the winter before last where we really only had the ice storm and a couple of dustings. 

Otherwise good solid tire.  Just keep an eye on the alignment, It is the toe that really kills the tires.  And if you start wearing them weird, have them flipped from left to right (dismount and all).

MuddyWRX

Yeah definately not a snow worthy tire, I've got dedicated snows for that. I'm going to get an alignment next week, had one last fall but I'm thinking I either hit something or somethign is still off. Not going to ruin another set of tires for so simple a reason.

Zach

kook RS3s are my go to cheap but still performance summer recommendation
I have this tire and its very sticky and very predictable when you are about to reach its limit. The only down side is the wall of the tire is a wee bit soft compared to other tires in the same category.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jamey

You should get a alignment. Every year I get one every time I go from snows to my summer . Vise versa rubber isn't cheap so I want get most out of it

MuddyWRX

When Evergreen noticed the wear starting last summer they did an alignment. Either something was still off or they were this bad before the alignment and it didn't get noticed during other service.

Latest posts

Back