*&%$#@!!! Subie locks itself overnight in cold

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Anybody else had their Scoob lock itself with no apparent outside help? 2000 RS sedan, OEM key fob, locks work great otherwise EXCEPT it has started to lock itself overnight in the c-c-c-c-old we've had lately.

Not so bad in and of itself, EXCEPT when the O(^&^$^%$^$#@$@!!! keys are left in the car by its )(&^&%%$#@!!! owner (moi). WTF Subaru.

Slim jim FTW.

Did I mention harrumph.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Weird, never had that problem on my 2000 outback, and that has the exact same alpine remote system.

May I suggest a spare key?
default_smile.png

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Spare Key? Whoa Chris, you are Brilliant!

Well, the whole adventure started when I discovered the super secret Hide-A-Key box had fallen off the car somewhere along the line....

fortunately I was home where I had, umm, "resources" to deal with the issue.

next step is to get approx 21 spare keys cut, that ought to cure the gremlins in the lock setup!

Meyagi

I'm a hack
my impreza recently started to lock the doors when i turn off the ignition with the drivers door open.... sometimes.... i didnt even know this thing had power locks, let alone that they actually worked....

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
My moms car started doing this in the heat. Now it does it all the time but also unlocks by themselves. And more recently the hazard lights turn on by themselves.

RyanR

///|||\\\|||///|||\\&#092
I'd start by checking all of the connectors related to door/trunk switches and latches in the car. Could be corrosion cross talk when it gets very cold. Otherwise my guess would be a bad body control unit.

These types of gremlins are da best

urabusturbo

My Forester locked my keys inside itself while I was washing it once. Luckily it was very easy to break back into. All I had to do was insert a fiberglass rod with a custom bent nail taped to the end thru the top corner and hit the button. My fob has a new battery and still takes at least five tries to unlock no matter how close I am.

Vecken

I learned the hard way to keep a wire coat hangar bent around the frame somewhere underneath the car, frameless windows have enough flex to fish it in and hit the unlock

Latest posts

Back