To port wastegate... Or to not... Opinions?

Brian Lowell

Brian-Lowell.com
So, with the modifications I am currently doing it's causing some 'boost creep' and I was directed to port the wastegate to support my current modifications, and future modifications (headers, up pipe, etc...) so I can take full advantage without worrying about something blowing up.

Any negative consequences on porting the wastegate, and would you do it?

Thanks! Let me know.

Meyagi

I'm a hack
replied

to give people an idea of what this looks like heres a few pics of my front turbo on my 2JZ swap

3408_10152103047370252_1028830116_n.jpg

this was the oem wastegate opening. that's a small hole to control boost on a 3L engine

392159_10152103054660252_521150254_n.jpg

as you can see i improved the path of flow significantly. its not so much about making the hole bigger as it is about making it flow better.

on this swap with a 3" exhaust people were seeing boost spikes into the 20psi range. this kind of boost will destroy the stock jdm ceramic turbine wheels. with the porting i did and a full exhaust on my car, i can run a rock solid 12psi, which is wastegate pressure, with no creep of any kind.

so if you have boost creep, heres your solution.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
I have heard a lot of good results from doing this, as Mike has shown in his pics, that's the way to do it. With that said, I had boost creep issues when I installed my VF39 on my XT with full 3" catless turbo back exhaust. I ported the wastegate because this is what people said to do, and did it just like what is shown in the pics above, and it changed nothing at al. I even re did it after to try to improve the flow more, and it never did a thing for me. I ended up taking another suggestion and changing to a catted down pip, and the issue immediately went away. Just y experience.

Latest posts

Back