What Snowtires Should I Get???

Runnah

Knock on wood, but I made it through last winter on all-seasons.

I doubt we'll have as light of a winter this year.

The GF got 4 new snow tires, but they seemed to be a bit overkill for the metopolitain area (If you can call Portland that). The road crews seems pretty adept at clearing the roads.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Pirelli Winter Carving. I will reserve my judgement untill snow hits. but they were cheap-er

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Winterforce&tireModel=M%2BS&partnum=055SR6WFORCE&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&place=19

These are probably what I would have got if I had not found barely used Nokians. I've seen quite a few sets around here in Rangeley. Where we normally get quite a bit of snow. Like Run said, you guys probably don't NEED a real aggressive winter tire, but I would think with the power of a WRX and if you travel into snowier country at all, you want good traction. I don't know about down there but last winter it was pretty icy roads up here because of the rain then freezing. I believe in erring on the side of a good winter tire. This IS Maine. It is supposed to SNOW! here. At least I hope it does.
default_redface.gif

Oh my god don't get the winterforce tires. They are the crappiest things I have ever driven on!!! They handle like a yugo(and yes I have always driven on snows in the winter I know how they handle) and they have grip that is about the same as RE-92's I shit you not.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
and I am not kidding in the least. My father got these for his Volvo S60 (AWD) and they are horrible. I would reccomend the cheapies that they sell at VIP and those type places over the WinterForce. and they are rediculously noisy.

Rightseat

respectfully disagree w/Pedro re Winterforce tires. We have used them quite successfully on several rallyx cars, and Team O'Neil also buys Winterforces by the truckload for school cars, year round.

granted, they are not exactly stellar on dry tarmac, but so much better on snow/ice/slush than RE92s that it's not even funny.

all tire choices involve compromise. Winterforce trades off dry road prowess for sturdy winter mud snow dirt traction while not breaking the bank for an extra set of tires you only use a few months a year.

DG

mikebike357

The Portland road crews do a pretty damn good job... I want snows on the WRX cuz it's momma's car and she doesn't have a ton of snow driving experience. Plus I don't think the Kumho Ecsta ASX's will be the best in teh snow.

Century tire is the only company around here that I know of that sells Nokian tires... I should call 'em to see what their price is.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Sandy at Swedish Solution on Westbroke street, down the road from Unum sells/used to sell Nokians

Rightseat

Plus I don't think the Kumho Ecsta ASX's will be the best in teh snow.
yikes!

Ecstas + snow x speed/loss of braking = teh DitCH (or soft snowbank if ur lucky)

any snows are better than tarmac gumballs in winter.

DG

R

rallyXcramps

I had GoodYear Ultra Grip Ice on my WRX. Very nice in the snow, and did wicked good on the icey compacted snow we often get on the morning commutes after storms. 3rd at Pooh Corner with those tires. 8) They were directional and I could hear/feel them scrub when turning on dry pavement. Now that I have a Scooberu again I'm shopping for nice snows again. This time I'm going to avoid directionals.

We had Dunlop Graspics on the Baja that were nice and quiet and did well in all conditions, but lacked the sideways cuts in the pattern that I like. Maybe they aren't really necessary but I like to see big square lugs so the sloppy snow can escape, ...and if I ever need to use them in the dirt/gravel they'll grab better. I did win 4p at Pooh Corner with the DUnlops, but part of that was because I was the only one that didn't off the run.

Snow tires, for me, is serious bidness. I will stare at what Tire Rack for hours, then go to Sullivans, Firestone in Portland, Century Tire, Tire Warehouse, look over the cheapos at work, then eventually in Novermber sometime I buy. Last winter I got some second hand Cooper snow diggers for the VW and was disappointed because I lost all slide-ability in the snow. I guess that's a good thing. Those tires took away a lot of fun but I never got stuck or lost control or traction. I was really surpised at the cheapo tire capabilities. They now serve double duty. Rally-x and everyday snows.

This year is gonna be fun. I have a set of pre-mounted Blizzaks for the VW, almost brandy new. And I get to shop for RS snows, and shop for the wife's SUV snows! Its a terrific season! ;D ;D ;D

robu

I got two winters and probably 35,000-40,000 miles out of my Hakka RSi's, which eases the price hit somewhat. I could probably squeeze a third out of them as they are still showing about 6mm of tread, but all the dry-road driving during the "snow drought" last winter took the edges off the sipes and their best days are behind them and they're relegated to occasional rallycrossing.

Going to see if someone can get in Nokian's newest Hakka 4 studded this year. Those promise to be fantastic.

Rightseat

mmmm, mmm, good. love them Snow Tire Follies.

snow tires are like golf clubs--look simple outside, but evberybody has their faves for their own secret reasons.

I'm a huge fan of Yoko IG-10s, run them on the street car in winter and they've also done several winter rallies on Tulip. even the top rally guys in canada run IG-10s on icy surfaces. the Yoks have a similar traction grip tread compound like the Blizzaks (fibers or glass or kryptonite) but it's all the way thru the tread thickness, unlike blizzaks where the special tread wears off halfway thru tire's life. WTFup widdat?? got my Yoks cheap at tireseasy.com $60 a corner for 195/65-15s

DG

4WRXter

Skier!
Right's looks like a good tire at a good price. I was able to find a set of 15" steelies from Uncle Henry's for $125. They aren't pretty wheels but They'll do the job. Maybe I'll paint 'em graphite. I also had to get some lug nuts, but it's still reasonable IMO. VIP had 'em for about $40 each plus nuts.

mikebike357

you could probably get a set of 15" alloys from tirerack for cheap to mount snows to. They'll look better than the VIP steelies.

R

rallyXcramps

I couldn't find the Yoko IG-10 in my size

ig10_tire.jpg

but the Yoko IG721s look sexy, and they aren't as expensive as some of the others.

ig721_tire.jpg

Latest posts

Back