Wheel Sizing...

mikebike357

I'm on the hunt for a set of 17's for the WRX. My question is width... what's best for a WRX? 7", 7.5", 8"?? I've noticed that most of the Rotas are 7.5" with the exception of the ones I like that are 8". I'm guessing that an 8" wide tire is waaay too big for normal driving and probably requires a fender roll. Is 7" too skinny? I'm all hawt for the Prodrive P7's but I see that they're only 17x7. ???

Suggestions? I'm not looking for any blingin' rims and I don't wanna break the bank either. P7's have been discontinued so they're around $165/wheel. Nice!

mikebike357

Ok... i'm going with the 17x7's...

Now...

what size tires? WRX is stock height, obviously want the speedo to read about the same so jumping up from teh stock 205/55R16 would it be best to go with a 215/50R17? I suspect that going with a 215/45R17 would look pretty small at stock height and it's not being lowered...
default_wink.png

mikebike357

I used a tire calculator that said the 215/45 would be a wee bit below stock diameter while the 215/50 would be a wee bit over. Since the Suby spedos are fast to begin with (got that info from a dealer), if I get a 215/50 it might actually make it read closer to actual?

Evan

all cars speedos are over from stock. bikes are more so.

basically they figure if the speed sensor/tires/ecu etc can be off by as much as say, 5%, they build it to read 5% over what it should so that you're never going faster than you think you are, which can be bad (speed rated tires, speeding tickets, etc).

my civic si would read 72mph when i was going 68 according to my gps.

the legacy is also about 5mph off on the highway with the winter tires on there (185/60/14 instead of 185/70/14).

on a related note, i went by one of those police signs that tells you your speed (and then always tells you TOO FAST! :
default_biggrin.png
) and that was showing the correct speed, not the compensated speed that the speedo says. hence, i would assume that a cops radar gun shows your actual speed.

Latest posts

Back