Where would you bring your car?

SWPWRX

Does anyone know of a professional car audio installation/sales business in the Greater Portland area that they would trust working on their car? I'm hoping for a place that has experience with the newer Subaru interiors and won't do a crappy job.

My goal is to have the factory speakers replaced and some dynomat done to the doors...maybe a amp but not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

gakosaurusrex

the guy who works at dr stereo is on this site and owns a newer obs. he has done heads alarms and wireless starting on it so they know there way around the 08up

Iboc_C64

RangeleyRallyDG & I have done our own installs. I have done probably 15+ installs on various vehicles but I was nervous to tear in to a new car so I had him give me a hand and show me how it comes apart. Believe me when I say, these WRX's come apart so easy its scary. If you know anything about wire crimpers and how to use a phillips head screw driver, then I would spend about 20 minutes online reading how to's and then do it yourself. It really should be that simple.
default_biggrin.png

SWPWRX

RangeleyRallyDG & I have done our own installs. I have done probably 15+ installs on various vehicles but I was nervous to tear in to a new car so I had him give me a hand and show me how it comes apart. Believe me when I say, these WRX's come apart so easy its scary. If you know anything about wire crimpers and how to use a phillips head screw driver, then I would spend about 20 minutes online reading how to's and then do it yourself. It really should be that simple.
default_biggrin.png
Good to know. I have done two full speaker/headunit/amp installs back when I and my friend had Toyota Camrys so maybe I might just go about doing it myself since you say it's a pretty easy install.

I've been doing some research and I've come across some information that states the stock speakers are actually pretty good quality and the head unit is the weak point in the stereo. With that said, it makes me think that I should just keep the speakers and head unit and buy a JL Audio CleanSweep to clean up the sound a bit. I thought about just getting a new head unit but I REALLY want to keep the steering wheel controls including bluetooth, and the arm rest USB/Line In functional. It seems there are not really any head units out there that will "swap" in without some loss of functionality.

I'm not looking to have the best on the block system, just a little more clarity and better overall sound.

Iboc_C64

I haven't tackled the doors yet. Dan, you lucked out cause your's came with JL Audio speakers already in the door so I can see why you would leave it alone, lol. The headunit is easy, like Dan said. I still have the stock headunit and speakers, but I added a custom T-Harness so as not to hurt the stock wiring, and I wired that to a Wal-Mart cheapo Scoche FAI3 for its line out convertion capability. I ran that to a Kenwood KAC-X621 AMP with 2 Rockford Fosgate 10" subs in a Bandpass box. It sounds pretty good, but the headunit is definately the weak point as it dulls down the bass at higher volumes. If you have an amp with a volume control up front though, then that wont matter much.

Carter

Administrator
Smithers is his username. He Removed my remote start from my 09 and is ping to put it in my 11 when I get the $$$

RSXNTN

Ive been going to Sanford Sound for years now. Jack will take awesome care of you. I used to work at Tweeter in Newington so I know the difference between a chop shop and a quality shop and they can do it all!

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
yeah, these door panels come off easy.

I replaced my "premium sound system" with rockford shallow power speakers.

the things you have to watch out for are the rear door, the two plastic pieces in the rear corner that are triangular, and in the front doors, the tweeter spaces.

just make sure you unscrew everything you can see, the power windows/locks will pop out, take a flat head screw driver and twist it in the slot and it will pop that piece off, and just disconnect the electrical stuff(pops off).

then just pull up! it's that easy, if you have any other questions just pm me.

Latest posts

Back