Boost Leak?

TheSoundMan

Ok, so i have recently noticed that I no longer buil full boost in any gear. I used to peak out at about .09 MpA, now I never get better than .06, and that's pushing it. I noticed this after taking the IC off to change the starter, but that's not to say It wasn't happening before that, just didnt notice. I thought it might be a loose hose clamp, but took the IC off again, and double checked it, all good. Any other likely culprits to check? what else could be causing this and how do I go about finding the problem? any suggestions?

Thanks

Nate

Founding Father
Are you hearing any rushing air sounds that you never heard before? What kind of boost are you supposed to be hitting at this point in your tuning? and what are you hitting?

TheSoundMan

no unussual noise that I can tell...My gauge is im MpA, but im roughly a little above half of Stock values..(im running Stock boost / MY03 WRX) so from like 15 PSI to about 8 or 9 now..

Nate

Founding Father
Hmmm. If nothing is leaking on the cold side of the system (boost leak) maybe you are having an issue with your wastegate being stuck open, or opening too much too quick, and not allowing your turbo to spool up.

Nate

Founding Father
Good call Gabe. Exhaust leak pre-turbo could cause boost issues too. But it would make a bit more noise.

TheSoundMan

its an invidia uppipe. that's the thing......im usually very good about telling if the car sounds different, and had I not looked at the gauge, I never would have known.

Nate

Founding Father
No flew section in the Invidia..... That could make for a nice exhaust leak. Check the connection near the manifold. Look for a black soot looking leak.

They don't typically break, but they don't like to seal all that well. How long has it been on?

woodys77

its an invidia uppipe. that's the thing......im usually very good about telling if the car sounds different, and had I not looked at the gauge, I never would have known.
If the car still feels the same then i would really recommend trying another guage. ive seen guages read different over time, it sucks to chase ghost.

BG @ BrenTuning

Custom Tuning ECUs
Those boost solenoids die over time, you should verify peak by starting in like 2500 in 3rd and reading the value around 3500pms, NOT up in the high rpms where it tapers.

run some seafoam through the bov return hose (youtube how to do this) and look for smoke out of the engine bay. good smoke test.

Otherwise somewhere in your intercooler, a pvc cap boost leak tester helps as well !

CheySpec207

Alright i'm also noticing a boost leak and difference in power. My car use to boost at about 15-16 now it feels different and my boost doesn't go over 7 psi. I had an exhaust leak before after switching out my cat back but my car was boosting where I thought it should be having an exhaust leak for a couple days i just got a new donut gasket last friday and im just noticing the low boost yesterday. I'm not sure what could be wrong i could check my vac hose and intercooler clamps and such but shouldn't i gave been noticing low boost while i had the exhaust leak? can anyone help me out

BG @ BrenTuning

Custom Tuning ECUs
when cars go to wastegate pressure 7-8psi out of the blue, they are pulling timing due to the heavy detonation and in fail safe mode.

Latest posts

Back