02 wrx sedan.. spun rod bearing(s)

02bugeyewrx

just bought a 02 wrx.. second subie i buy,, first was a beater 93 impreza... got rid of that last winter

anyways.. im excited about the new project i just got.

car has 173k.. timing belt supposivly done 10k ago at evergreen subaru.

previous owner took a right turn from a stopsign.. annnnd engine really messed itself up i guess..

My basic approach (dont really know what im doing here.. lol) 

is take pictures as i go, unplug and label wires, drain fluids, pull radiator, then engine.

after motor is out and on stand or bench or whatever.. that's when im going to need the most advice..

was looking at "race" rod bearing sets on ebay for around 100... says they are built to withstand hiperformance conditions, etc..... anyone know/used these before? good product?

..looking foward to hearing thoughts and opinions on this project, want to fix it asap as i have only a pos antique car to drive for now. haha

\

... thankyou

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
Don't get ebay stuff for engine internals, there are high tolerances there. I suggest acl bearings. Shop around on reputable sites such as rallysportdirect.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Spun road bearings mean that there's lots of flakes of blown bearing floating all thru the motor. best to really really clean out the oilways while u got it torn down. Replace oil pump. flush out heads and valvetrain. flush again. hard to get all the crap out of oil pan, probly best to replace that as well.

don't ask how I learned this. (the hard way)

02bugeyewrx

Industry

I used king bearings. They are very good. As Nigel said. Flush and flush again. Have the block hot tanked. There Are tons of oil passages and this will help clean them.

02bugeyewrx

so i just dumped the oil.. not a spec of metal.... hmmmmmm, maybe it didnt spin a bearing? 

Last edited by a moderator:

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
so i just dumped the oil.. not a spec of metal.... hmmmmmm, maybe it didnt spin a bearing?
Look at it In the bright light. Look for goldish swirly colors in the oil. If you see that, then it does have a spun bearing.

02bugeyewrx

i used a small clear plastic tub.. car is outside in bright sunlight, i couldn't see any signs of metal swirls, chunks, or any tiny particles.. maybe internals have more hope? what should i do from here? tempted to bring to dealer and have them give me a diagnosis. 

02bugeyewrx

engine turns over smooth.. then comes to a dead stop.. vise versa when i try and turn it over opposite direction... wont allow to turn over to line up timing marks on pulleys.. timing belt looks brand new.. im thinking it has a bent valve, but no idea what/why caused that..

tempted to bring to a dealer.. maybe m and a auto in lisbon.. said they could look it over and findout whats wrong.. just dont know what costs il run into and haven't had time lately. 

second thought was buy direct from jdmracingmotors in montreal.. they got lots of suby engines with around 55000miles priced around 2000... could do a fresh swap and have a parts/rebuildable motor or something... 

Matt

Early models were known for dropping valve guides or something right? I'd pop the valve covers off and see what you can find

Latest posts

Back