5MT and assoc parts for 00-04 Legacy

lateralized

I am really considering doing a 5 spd swap on my leggy. The tranny is getting a little testy with me and I had been thinking of it anyway. I am not even certain of all the parts I would need but if anyone knows of someone parting out a 5 spd from this generation I would love to scavenge it.

ps - Am I correct in assuming that the parts from 00-04 will work?

ReZPunK

and also making sure the tranny you install matches the rear diff. if you find a donor car for the tranny, score the diff from that car while you are at it.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
5 MT swap isn't as easy as you might like!

needs:

--trans

--full clutch ass'y--not just press plate and disc, also MC, slave, plumbing

--pedal cluster (installing this means standing on your head upsidedown in the footwell, working overhead with no room, and MUCH swearing, btdt)

--probably a prop shaft and center bearing

--rear diff same ratio as center, probly 3.9 (suby autos are 4.44)

--wiring, aaah, the fun part! center diffs are totally different on the 5 MT and 4EAT, at least the ctr diff pack on the 5 MT is mechanical instead of electronically controlled)

expect the car to be down for a while, there are always more parts needed than you think.
default_confused.gif

almost certainly simpler/cheaper to get the 4EAT troubleshot and repaired. and do you know about the simple wiring trick to fool your 4EAT center diff into locking up on demand?

lateralized

5 MT swap isn't as easy as you might like!
needs:

--trans

--full clutch ass'y--not just press plate and disc, also MC, slave, plumbing

--pedal cluster (installing this means standing on your head upsidedown in the footwell, working overhead with no room, and MUCH swearing, btdt)

--probably a prop shaft and center bearing

--rear diff same ratio as center, probly 3.9 (suby autos are 4.44)

--wiring, aaah, the fun part! center diffs are totally different on the 5 MT and 4EAT, at least the ctr diff pack on the 5 MT is mechanical instead of electronically controlled)

expect the car to be down for a while, there are always more parts needed than you think.
default_confused.gif
Good advice. Thanks. I cant really afford to have it down longer than a weekend, so if its gonna be a huge deal then ill skip it. I also cant afford more than about $700-$800 so with all those parts i guess this is a no go.

almost certainly simpler/cheaper to get the 4EAT troubleshot and repaired. and do you know about the simple wiring trick to fool your 4EAT center diff into locking up on demand?
no ... i do not ... enlighten me

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
when the abs controller on a 4EAT car detects wheelspin at different ends of the car, it signals the center diff to lock up which helps regain traction. lockup ranges depending on amount of spinning.

you can put a switch onto this signal wire so that you can tell the diff to lock up 100% when u want--esp nice when taking long trips in the middle of a snowstorm or playing hooligan on a muddy logging road, etc.

there's a thread on nabisco with details

important update: Just make sure you unlock it before driving on pavement!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back