Anyone know about old engines?

nhmtns

While exploring an island off the coast of CT, I found this old engine block on the rocky shoreline. This info is on it:

Essex power Block

37000H

I'm pretty sure it was made by Hudson. I'm wondering if maybe the 12932 refers to a build date of 12/9/32. Anyone know much about old cars and engines? I thought it was a pretty cool find.

IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

RallyCat

If you google "Essex Power Dome" you'll get some hits.

Looks like you found yourself an old block from a 1920's/1930's Essex automobile. Essex was a "cheaper" line from the Hudson car company and was intended to compete with Ford and Chevrolet (where Hudson was more in line with the Lincoln brand from Ford). Essex motor cars were made from 1919 to 1932 (when it was renamed to Terraplane to appear more modern).

Old engine blocks are often used as moorings for boats, so that is probably how it ended up there.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Heh, first look at your first pic, I ws immediately thinking "boat anchor boat anchor"

glad to have an Ancient Engine Authority like rallycat agree ;>P

BTW, that block looks restorable if you're determined enough

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
ponder a straight six with 3 main bearings.
default_smile.png

I'd be throwing it in the ocean too.

seems funny to read a "cheaper alternative to ford"...

they tried 3 mains in an inline four!

insane!

Someday, the boxer that can is just gonna step up and leave the boat anchors behind.
default_smile.png

I spotted a nelson engine design today..

full water

overhead cams, chain driven

4 bolt mains with side crossbolt

a starter position in the valley

plays with classic gm dimensions.

my god. they built a giant EA82 , but with the classic shared rod pins as its only sign of crazy v8 past. thumbs up to neslon racing.

anyhoo...to keep the engine you found, would be nostalgia of insanity.

nhmtns

Old engine blocks are often used as moorings for boats, so that is probably how it ended up there.
Interesting, didn't think of that.

BTW, that block looks restorable if you're determined enough
I'll be done by this weekend. Can't wait to fire her up!

nhmtns

I posted a similar thread in the Hudson section of a classic car forum. They confirmed that it is indeed from 1932.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back