Complete automatic trans for 01 Outback

So after I just purchased this car from a guy in Rockland I noticed a weird noise coming from the front of the car but only when car is under load. Doesn't do it when coasting or when car is put into nuetral and rolling. Not engine related, not really RPM related although you can hear the pitch change slightly when you increase the RPM.

From reading about it and listening to it for the last 5 months I believe it is associated with a bearing in the front diff. failing. I have a garage willing to do a trans swap for cheap so I need to line up a functioning auto trans for an 01 Outback.

I already put all new front suspension (struts, coils, ball joints, tie rods, etc.) on this car and it has already had head gaskets and timng belt recently. So I would like it to run for another 100k.

Anyone have any leads on such a transmission?

Thanks,

WB

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Change the diff oil first and see one, what it looks like, and two, maybe it'll stop making noise when you change it. But ya, sounds like diff to me.

When my rear diff failed it made a horrid whine on decel, and eventually it was all the time.

Not sure the WRX trans is going to work. I believe the gear ratios are different.

I changed the oil out 6k or so miles ago, when I noticed the noise. The magnet had a normal amount of metal on it (in my opinion) but the new oil didn't make any difference.

It's gone from only hearing it above 25 mph to now I can hear it when the trans shifts down at really low speeds... Gonna grenade soon I think.

PM sent to STi Chad

WB

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha, yeah well my wife was just after me about working on the car too much last weekend so I don't think that is in the cards...

Trust me I would love to! Black limited with a 5 spd dropped in, sweet!

The only reason I bought an auto was because she was sick of driving my 93 Eurovan 5 spd... shit luck.

thanks to everyone who responded. i just purchased a trans and am now waiting for the other one to grenade so i can convince my lovely wife there is actually something wrong with the car...

i appreciate all the help!

WB

Back