Foresta 4EAT emergency HAAALP!

Rightseat

my g'f's 140k mile 00 Forester got deposited in my driveway last nite by AAA, after being stranded with an AT shifter weirdness.

shifter is jammed in "Park" but car still rolls, and ignitiion/trans interlock won't let it start.

pulled console/shifter apart in cabin. manually pooshed safety interlock so shifter could work back n forth thru its full range. still doesn't lock up in P and still won't allow engine start.

evidently, the problem is not with the shifter itself, it's probably loose/busted shift cable down by trans. as you move shift lever back n forth, there's no feel and/or clicking of detents in the trans as explained by the book. next step according to book is that front exhaust has to come off in order to reach shift cable adjustment on side of gearbox.....c'est correct?

looking for troublehooting advice before I get car in shop, jack it up and attack the ancient exhaust with the torch and cutting wheel, etc.....

inski shorty rob S haaalp!

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
Heat up yer torches. According to Subaru Technical Information System, you need to pull the frt pipe. I know on Outbacks that same year, you just can't get a socket in there to remove the clamp that holds the cable to the tranny.

You should be able to have someone move the shift lever while you watch the linkage from above to see if it moves. Look down on the passenger side of the tranny, just below where the turbo should be ;D

internalcombust

Sounds like broken cable to me.
default_biggrin.png

J

junkyardgabe

does it go through the other gears fine and will it start in neutral?

Rightseat

def busted cable

jacked car, moved shifter....no movement of lever on side of gearbox

manually moved lever all the way back, and presto! car started

shorty, send cable ASAP!!!!! O0

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
I'll have it here tomorrow, but you won't get it untill Monday. Unless UPS does Saturday delivery in your area. Now I know if they do, they poke it right to you. I went on UPS.com to check for Saturday rates but to no avail. Is Monday Ok? LMK.

Latest posts

Back