Help!!!

RallyGuy24

I am looking for some info. I'll start from the beginning and go from there.

At the end of May, I installed a new flywheel, clutch, throwout bearing, and changed the tranny fluid to Royal Purple GL-4 and GL-5 rated 70-90.

Here's the symptoms - When driving the car on the highway, once the tranny warms up, when I let off the accelerator, I hear a god awful grinding noise. It goes away when I am on the accelerator, but as soon as I let off its bad. I thought that this was due to the throwout bearing clip falling off and allowing the bearing to ride slightly against the fingers of the pressure plate. that's what it sounds like, and I thought this because the design of the clip wasn't that good. Now that I have the tranny on the ground, I see the throwout bearing is functioning just as it should. Now I am wondering if 5th gear is junk, or if I have a bearing in the back of the tranny that's gone. I don't remember if it made this noise in any other gear. Another note, I didn't drain the fluid as I dropped the tranny, and when I got the tranny leaning back a bit, fluid drained out the rear seals. Should fluid be able to drain out of there?? I don't think so, but I am not sure seeing it might let fluid by to lubricate the driveshaft. So I guess my question is, Do i need to have the tranny rebuilt, or what does this sound like?

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
If you slid the driveshaft out of the tranny, the oil will run right out when tipped up.

As far as the noise though, no clue. Sorry

inski

Gear oil will leak out (propeller shaft seal) even if the propeller shaft is still in there if the tranny gets a high angle, but if the shaft is out the gear oil will pour out.

The noise:

That will require a test drive, and possibly a teardown to determine the cause. Other things will cause noises to transmit throughout the car. ie, My rear diff protector had me convinced I had a bad tranny. The Primitive item is so thick and moves the rear diff so much it causes vibrations to echo thru-out the gear box, like a harmonic vibration, I mostly heard it/felt it at 70-75mph. I took out the diff protector and the noise/feeling was gone. I was so relieved. Also things like engine mounts and trans mounts and aftermarket exhausts cause funny sounds and things you feel in your ass. Possibly an output shaft bearing is going, and not noisey til you get up to speed. We do trans rebuilds at Patriot, and I bet Evergreen does too. I'll admit, Subaru trannys aren't my specialty (yet), but from what I've seen they aren't much more complicated than other 5 speeds.

Latest posts

Back