Hey from Yarmouth!

Threet3n

Little Stein
Hey there Mainely,

My name is Sam and I'm new to the Subaru community, but my brother Nate (Stein) has gotten me hooked on them since he got his. I am doing some shopping for a first car and was wondering if I could get some advice from you guys as my first post!

I have this one that my mind is absolutely set on, the only issue is the price, which I have KBB'd, NADA'd, and edmunds'd and the price he's asking seems pretty high. It's an 06 WRX TR with 92k miles on it and a couple of modifications. COBB intake, 3" turbo-back exhaust, blow off valve, and would come with a COBB access port, the stock exhaust (except an STI axle back), and 3 snow tires, 3 because 1 got a gash in it. With 92,000 miles I'm thinking it would need t-belt, water pump, head gaskets, and possibly a new clutch when it hits 100k miles. 

The price tag right now is $13,700. KBB, NADA, and Edmunds' averagely appraise it at about $10,500-$11,000. My budget was originally 10k but it is lenient. What do you think is reasonable? From what I have learned, modifications don't necessarily add any value, except for the Access Port. I'm hoping to get it for no more than $11k.

Thoughts? and any other words of advice to a newby?

Thanks in advance! I'm looking forward to becoming part of the community!  

MAINIAC XV

The Eco Man
Welcome aboard man. Check out our Member Map and locate yourself. Take your time searching around for the right car.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I could put my 06 limited wrx in your price range. PM me if you are interested.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
192k. Nice car though. Just bought a newer Lexus though otherwise I would push it past 300.

brighton

Rally Fluffer
192k. Nice car though. Just bought a newer Lexus though otherwise I would push it past 300.
But they are all highway. He drives around 100 miles a day on 95 to go to work. A lot better then a modded wrx that was beat on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Threet3n

Little Stein
But they are all highway. He drives around 100 miles a day on 95 to go to work. A lot better then a modded wrx that was beat on.
It actually doesn't seem like it was beaten on at all. Drove flawlessly, ride was nice, sounded good and only body damage was 2 little cracks in the grill and a little bit of surface scratching on the left side of the rear bumper.

Only mechanical problem is that it didn't get into Reverse unless you went just right from first to reverse. I know you have to do that usually but this was a lot harder than usual.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Thanks bub. 

It actually doesn't seem like it was beaten on at all. Drove flawlessly, ride was nice, sounded good and only body damage was 2 little cracks in the grill and a little bit of surface scratching on the left side of the rear bumper.

Only mechanical problem is that it didn't get into Reverse unless you went just right from first to reverse. I know you have to do that usually but this was a lot harder than usual.
You shouldn't have to do that at all.

Threet3n

Little Stein
Thanks bub. 

You shouldn't have to do that at all.
Oh.... Well then...  Big Stein suggested that there might be an air pocket in the clutch line which would explain the reverse issue, but it wouldn't explain how it could flawlessly shift into every other gear no problem.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I have only had it happen if I blip the gas in Neutral with the clutch engaged.  Then just any gear and reverse works.

skipow

i wouldnt spend 13.7k on a wrx with issues. you can get an 04 sti for that much.

welcome though!

JoeBalz

2005 LGT's suck.
I agree with skipow. Wait for the right car and try to get one that hasn't been modded and is at the right price. Welcome to the club, by the way!

Back