I need to be schooled on car audio.

TheNailman

Warcock
ok. i know a fair amount about a great many things. i know a great deal, about a few things. and i know nothing, about car audio.

i have (what i think) are some nice components. However, for one reason, or another, my music sounds like asscakes.

i listen to metal primarily, and i can't crank it, cause the speakers distort when the sub hits. the guitar solo's get buzzy, it's just overall a mess.

Headunit: Alpine IDA X001

Amp: Alpine 500w mono (powering the sub)

Sub: Rockford Fosgate P210 500w/250rms

Speakers: Alpine Type S 6" in the front door. all the others are stock.

no tweeters, no crossovers, no amps powering the speakers. ..

anyways, that's the long and short of it. if anyone has any desire to audio-edumacate me, i sure would appreciate it.

~Nailman

Impreza05

You need better speakers. The e oem ones aren't up to it, you need good tweeters and something in the back. Think of it as a house system, hook up some lame ass speakers to a nice system and buzz buzz click click.

I'm sure there will be some good advice to come for you.

Blue GT

I am no expert but more info is needed, and i know i couldn't suggest too much over the forum but to start with what are the audio settings on the deck?

Kristof

Banned
you head unit is probably putting out way to much power for your stock speakers making them sound like a bee in heat. have you tried playign with the balance and fade and isolating one speaker at a time? if you do that you should be bale to tell if its just your stock speakers that are making everythign sound bad. do you have a seperate sub control on your head unit so the levels aren't tied into the bass levels of your mids and highs?

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
I would move the alpine type s speakers to the rear(a little cutting will be necessary) then since you seem to like alpine get a set of type r 6" components for the front and a 4 channel amp to power all four. The amp is optional but will make a bif difference. You should also install bass blockers on your speakers to keep the bass mostly to the sub. Playing with the settings on the deck can help a lot too.

Im not an expert so please if anyone else has something to add or correct speak up.

TheNailman

Warcock
The problem is, the settings on the headunit are very restrictive. . . As for thebass blockers, I don't know what those are, but that sounds about right. . . My fronts buzz way too much . I def need tweeters too.

Apollyon12

The problem is, the settings on the headunit are very restrictive. . . As for thebass blockers, I don't know what those are, but that sounds about right. . . My fronts buzz way too much . I def need tweeters too.

Any good audio place should be able to get them for you. they are just a little electronic do-hicky that will go in one of the leads (I don't remember if it's + or -). it looks like a capacitor or something similar. If you are running your speakers through an amp they aren't needed because you can turn off the low range (usually) and only feed them the high and mid range. Your sub should be doing all the work of the low range. Also make sure that the sub is, in fact, only putting out lows, they aren't designed to do voice/high/mid and it can kill them quick.

And of coarse, there is always the possibilty that your fronts are blown and that's why they are buzzing. But I hope that's not the case.

TheNailman

Warcock
No, I don't think they are blown, I just think they are trying to put out bass also, and either are struggling to hit the low notes at high volume, or for some reason the bass from the sub is hitting and distorting the sound. . . . Honestly though, a problem I have a lot is, when the bass hits, the rest of the speakers dull at the same moment. Does that just mean the speakers need an amp to drive them?

Red40oz

while i dont do it for a job, my first subaru had a massive fully built system and until i upgraded my door speakers and had another amp running them, also running new wires is a pain but a heavier audio grade wire is always benificial... dynamat in the doors at least is a good idea. im not familiar with alpine units as ive always been a pioneer person but it took me a while too find the right combo in settings.

TheNailman

Warcock
thanks for the input guys. the audio stuff is on the back burner for the next month or two. .. who knows, maybe santa will be nice to me for festivus.

maybe people could recommend me some good components, amps for the speakers, maybe speakers for the rear door?

stiXXX

Turn down the gain on your sub amp.

Then reduce the bass on yr head unit, & increase treble responce.

Am thinking your door spkrs are shot, my oem ones sound fine with my kenwood head unit and amp.

Audio can be a pita, no doubt!

i-wagon

I know you said the head units setings are restrictive, but does it have a seperate adjustment for the sub? I have my kenwood set to very low bass overall, but the sub gain turned up and my stock speakers with tweeters sound great

TheNailman

Warcock
new question.

i'm looking at subs. i have one in mind, but it's avail in 2Ω, 4Ω, and 8Ω. ..

which one should i be looking at? god i feel dumb.

stiXXX

Mid-impedence... Damn....it's been a while...

If I remember right, 8 Ohm ultimately distorted first.

It's been 20 years since this came up, am feeling not-so-smart, myself!

Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not an electrician!
default_idk.gif

Latest posts

Back