Late night head gasket swap at Lobstah's Garage

lateralized

I had been meaning to post these pics for some time now and just got around to getting them off my phone. See a description of the adventure here. I am hoping Lobstah will be able to laugh at this now as I dont imagine he found it very funny at the time. Again, I cant thank you enough man, you saved my ass. Props to Jerrid and Joel as well as those of you who came by to assist.

The red arrows indicate slight oversights in our positioning of the head gaskets:

picture.php

picture.php

Yes, they are IN BACKWARDS. It is kinda funny now that its over. I wont be upset if you laugh.

inski

Did you flip the gasket? If not there is an important passage blocked. Also, when the gasket is backwards the head bolts go in not-so-smooth, especially the top center one. The holes line up but not exactly and the gasket puckers.

059.jpg

This is a closed deck 2.2L but they all have the same passage from the block thru into the head.

-=Lobstah=-

It got fixed the right way next AM
default_smile.png

I realized that it was wrong, right after i turned the engine 90 degrees into the right position and saw funny protrusions on both sides
default_biggrin.png
.... "FFFUUUU"
default_biggrin.png

Tell me something like that happened to you before
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
059.jpg

This is a closed deck 2.2L but they all have the same passage from the block thru into the head.
Can I haz nice shiny closed deck 2.2? haha

I was there for part of the head gasket "adventure". Good times....

inski

It got fixed the right way next AM
default_biggrin.png
I realized that it was wrong, right after i turned the engine 90 degrees into the right position and saw funny protrusions on both sides
default_biggrin.png
.... "FFFUUUU"
default_biggrin.png

Tell me something like that happened to you before
default_biggrin.png
Oh yeah.
default_biggrin.png
I was doing head gaskets in the car, right side, coolant dripping on my head, sweating like a pig, wondering why something wasn't right as I struggled to hold the head over my head with one hand and cram bolts in with my other hand. 20 minutes of swearing I decided to pull the head off and see WTF was holding me up. Bingo, gasket backwards. It fits so well either way. Just that one hole is off a smidgen, and that passage on the wrong side. I felt pretty smucken fart. I'd done a ton of them before and let myself rush it a bit and made a silly mistake.

Oh well, flip it, torque it, ship it. Good to go for another 100,000+ miles!
default_smile.png

Can I haz nice shiny closed deck 2.2? haha
I found that pic on the NASTISOC classifieds, last post was April, still for sale

lateralized

Did you flip the gasket? If not there is an important passage blocked. Also, when the gasket is backwards the head bolts go in not-so-smooth, especially the top center one. The holes line up but not exactly and the gasket puckers.
It was corrected the next day, which is where the thanks to Joel from Evergreen comes in as he came in on a day off to supply us with the new set of gaskets. Also, since I had to be at my sons birthday party for a few hours, Lobstah took on half a day of the 26 hour ordeal without me even being there to get me back on the road. This whole project is the perfect example of what makes this site and its members/associated businesses so fantastic. I hope everyone keeps me in mind if they need anything as I owe this community bigtime.

default_additional_sillylol.gif
default_tongue.png
default_smile.png
:)
default_biggrin.png
:D

topdeeni

I felt pretty smucken fart
a fart smellah huh?

someday I am going to have to stop into Evergreen so U can poke me in the eye for this one....of course I will bring the Toyota and leave the Sewbie at home

Latest posts

Back