O Jeez, toyota don't need THIS !!! Pedro, this is a MUST READ 4 U !!!!

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
http://autos.aol.com/article/lexus-gx-460-safety-risk/?icid=main|main|dl4|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fautos.aol.com%2Farticle%2Flexus-gx-460-safety-risk%2F

mommas, don't let yer babies grow up to be Lexus SUVs....
default_smile.png

Ty Ty

Eh...that basically says that it's an SUV, and if you drive like an idiot, it might roll over. That's not news. Does the stability control have a flaw?...perhaps, but you shouldn't really rely on it to correct for poor driving anyway. That's like leaning on a toothpick knowing full well that it could snap at any moment, but continuing to do so because it hasn't snapped yet.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Well, you're probly right for the most point. However, the CU road testers program is to re-create situations that "normal drivers" will encounter. They're pretty skilled drivers, and put a lot of different vehicles thru their paces. If they find a problem, there IS a problem...or very likely to be for most unskilled drivers. I've tossed around several big Lexus SUVs that belonged to Team O students, and they are impressive vehicles for their weight and size. Their stability control has been exceptionally awesome, it seems weird that they missed the mark with this newest one.

krazykarpenter

the way this thing looks and how it reacted in the little video on the page it reminds me of those commercials that used air that made SUV's into wooly mammoth looking things.....anyone remember those???

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
mine is different.

but after watching the video, what they are saying is that the fact that it can slide sideways is the issue. Honestly I don't see the problem. It would be one thing if the "emergency maneuver" ended up in the vehicle on it's roof, but this is not the case. That is one of the more stable looking runs I have seen from an SUV.

I understand the way they test, but this is purely a case of crying wolf, not one of the test vehicles rolled or came even close. and I am pretty sure that my 95 4runner would be far less stable in that same test.

L-town

Do they have any comparison vids from other vehicles tested? To me that looked pretty good considering I assumed it was going to be on it's side

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
how funny would that have been if they rolled that thing?
mebbe if it was the testers...but NOT very funny if it was your fambly on board.

snap oversteer is OK for them what knows how to deal with it (hooligan GC drivers in particular) but for 98.97% of the other drivers out there, lemme tellya they have NO IDEA of what to do when the back end snaps out. Most ppl just lift off the gas and freeze at the wheel (HELLLLP mr wizard!) -- which are both exactly the wrong reactions.

here is a case in point, names and location will remain undisclosed to protect the guilty. note there is NO corrective steering angle to the front wheels. this was like the 3rd or 4th time in the same day this guy had lost it when the back came around

Last edited by a moderator:

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I do find it funny that they noted that it did not completely loop, just that the tail came out too much before stability control kicked in.

It is a bogus alarmist reaction, you don't see any "breaking news reports" about the GM ABS/Trac control failures that shut those systems down completely do you?

Latest posts

Back