Side topic: Where were you 7yrs ago today?

Evil Jeff

Me and my coworker where just discussing how this is one of those days that you'll never forget where you were or what you were doing. Probably the only thing I remember as vividly as that morning was my daughters' births.

I was headed to my 'rent house in Smithfield. I needed to do some homework on the internet, since I was still a poor college student with none at my place. I was on the road to their place listening to WCYY when they said "We're getting a report of a plane crashing into one of the WTC towers". I was at their place like 2min later, and turned on CNN just as reports of the 2nd crash started coming in. Sat there chain smoking and watching the news for 4hrs, until my wife called me and asked me to come home to be with her and the girls.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I was heading back to my dorm after my 8am class. On the way in my RA mentioned in passing that something was happening in NYC. Got back to my room and flicked on the TV and watched the rest unfold. I freaked out a bit because my father was supposed to be flying that day to Tenn. but his meeting was thankfully canceled.

mikebike357

I was at work in Pittsburgh on the 20th floor, but I had a 3:30p flight to Brussels that afternoon so I was trying to get my sh!t together in the office. Was getting a haircut when the first tower fell. After the 2nd tower fell the CEO called a company meeting on the 30th floor of the building telling people that they could go home if needed. During the meeting someone came running in saying that the plane crashed right outside of Pittsburgh. Not knowing what was going on and with the USX tower being the highest building between Chicago & NYC... the city was then evacuated. Found the wife and proceeded to sit in traffic for hours trying to get out of town.

Then it was really creepy because it was silent outside. No airplanes except for the occasional F-18.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I was at work in Pittsburgh on the 20th floor, but I had a 3:30p flight to Brussels that afternoon so I was trying to get my sh!t together in the office. Was getting a haircut when the first tower fell. After the 2nd tower fell the CEO called a company meeting on the 30th floor of the building telling people that they could go home if needed. During the meeting someone came running in saying that the plane crashed right outside of Pittsburgh. Not knowing what was going on and with the USX tower being the highest building between Chicago & NYC... the city was then evacuated. Found the wife and proceeded to sit in traffic for hours trying to get out of town.

Then it was really creepy because it was silent outside. No airplanes except for the occasional F-18.
ughh.. I forgot about the fighters.. They were scrambling around the Keene area since we were pretty close to VT yankee

Jimbo

^ My wife went to Keene. We should play the name game sometime.

On topic, I was in the process of opening the Bangor Best Buy for the day. At the time I was the supervisor of the Appliance department, and our security guy (an ex-forest ranger) paged over the store's intercom that something big was going down. We put all the Home Theater televisions on CNN (can't remember if we put it up on the jumbotron...I think we did), and just stared.

We knew it was a big deal when we heard the Bangor Mall was closing for the day, and Best Buy closed as well.

akinaspeedstar

sitting in my dorm room, when my roomate mentioned a plane crashed into the towers, i figured a small private plane or something some accedent. fliped on the news and sat and watched that for the next 4 hours. went to class class was cancelled came back and watched some more news.

Rightseat

...walk into work that morning, and a co-worker who's a fine sarcastic New Yorker mentions that she'd read on the net about "some idiot just crashed his plane into the World Trade Center." We get a good laugh out of that, and wonder how somebody could be so incompetent. I'm imagining a Cessna or some sky-writing biplane going boing-boing off such a huge building.

Want to find out more, so log on to my office Mac to see what's really going on. Hunh, for some reason the whole effing Net is down...nobody else can get on either.

Then we flick on CNN, and the laughing stops.

The rest of that day was like an eternity.

Went down to Newport RI on 9-12 to work our booth at the big boat show, and it was literally like a morgue. We were all like, "this is BAD, really really bad..." Ppl were just standing around, staring into space. Lots of exhibitors just packed up and left. Boats just didn't seem that important all of a sudden.

saabaru

I was in California on my way to work. One of the few days I went in early, I thought it was a joke from the radio DJ's, but after a few minutes knew it was real. Got to work, and all we did all day was watch the TV. I called home to find out where my sister was, she is Navy Reserve, but at the time she worked for the airlines in DC. So I was worried like no ones business. She was fine.

Runnah

Ms runnah and were at her apt in college. We woke up and turned on the tv after the first plane hit. I left for class and stopped by my apt for my books. I remember walking in telling my roomate that we'd better get to a TV (we didn't have cable) because some serious shit was going down!

We went to the college TV studio just before they collapsed.

The thing I rember most about it was just feeling dazed from the reality of it all. I think most everyone was the same way.

gearsoup

I was at work. The foreman came out and told us that something happened. We tuned in the radios and listened for a while. The shop owner came out and told us that if all we were going to do was listen to the radio, then go home. Otherwise, get back to work. After that, he went home and watched CNN. The rest of the day was rather surreal.

HR radness

His royal radness
I was en route from Minneapolis to Sarasota Florida with two passengers. We were somewhere around St. Louis when the Center air traffic controller came up on the radio and told us what had happened (The first tower had been hit) He proceeded to tell us that everyone was landing, NOW. I had a choice between Nashville and St. Louis. I had a friend in Nashville So that's where we went. We all went inside the private terminal just in time to see the second plane hit on TV. My passengers rented a car and drove to Florida, I rented a car the next day and drove home.

I have not been the same since, and I never will

ReZPunK

i got to hear perhaps the most gripping news broadcast at the time it happened. i was listening to Imus in the morning when it all went down, i was driving beer truck and it was my 3rd day on the job. i was driving with my boss still learning the route and i dont htink we said anything more than :what the fudge: all day long.

we got to DiMillos in Portland and made the delivery, and sat there wioth the owner and watched TV for about an hour.

it is our generations "jfk" the where were you moment.

MrToad

I was working while a nearby TV was updating the events. What I didn't

know at the time was where my younger brother was. He was supposed to be working

in the South Tower. I can remember watching the TV and wondering how

those people in the upper floors would get out when the first tower collapsed,

then the second. It wasn't until two hours later that I found out my brother

had planned to go into work late that day and wasn't in the building.

JT

bubba suby

i was still in bed when it happened , i was working second shift for rowe ford at the time . my now wife called me after the first plane hit and just as i turned the tv on to see what she was talking about the second plane hit the next building. i was floored by what i had just seen and called the two people that know that live in nyc they were no were near that area whe it happened. i did not get that much done that day at work because when ever i could i was in the waiting room of work watching the tv.

Apollyon12

I was a cadet at West Point at the time. Really freaky with all the cadets getting really angry and wanting to kick some a**. More than one friend of mine started thinking of dropping out and inlisting. So many people had friends who worked in NY or the Pentagon or had a real attachment to the city. Hit a lot of people real hard.

We were all on lockdown for a couple weeks, nobody leaving and only essential vehicles and people coming in. It was a legitimate worry that "they" (the terrorists) would try an attack on us. They basicaly flew right over the school on the way to NY.

Back