The Official STM Hiking Talk Thread - we don't need no stinking wheels!

Jimbo

OK - getting this kicked off: I'm planning a Mt. Washington trip for this summer, and I have no experience in NH. Anyone got any recommendations for routes up the mountain and camping?

Rightseat

paging nigel prodrive, paging Nigel prodrive. Your expertise is needed
Mt Wash Auto Road, with 600-hp audi quattro. No camping needed.

that is all :angel12: :angel12: :angel12: :angel12:

awesome foot trail up wash is Boott Spur. It's a bit off the beaten path (Pinkham Notch trailhead offers multi options) but on a good day you get to see the whole effin mountain. start early, bring lunch, warm clothes and headlamps. it's always going to take longer to get up and back down than you think.

Jimbo

For reference I'm pretty familiar with Katahdin, and my three most recent ascents were up Cathedral. I don't know what sort of trail rating that is, but we were pretty comfortable doing it.

BTW, if you haven't done it, stay at Roaring Brook in one of the three walk-in sites. SOOOOOOO worth it.

Boot Spur, eh? I'll commence research now. Thanks, Nigel!

mikebike357

I've been torn about hiking Washington... I like hiking up a trail, getting to the top of a mountain and just hanging out. But at Washington you have to fight tourists at the top. Take a pee in a toilet... get a burger... and you have the option of hitching a ride down. Plus i've heard the trail up is pretty busy.

I've done Crawford which is a really nice hike with a great view... The Moats are also a really good hike as well.

Pick up the AMC White Mountain Guide. I find it very helpful in picking a day hike and the maps are supah!

Rightseat

I've been torn about hiking Washington... I like hiking up a trail, getting to the top of a mountain and just hanging out. But at Washington you have to fight tourists at the top. Plus i've heard the trail up is pretty busy.
that's the beauty of Boott Spur. you don't end up at the summit itself and have to elbow the dirty masses. you get to the 'top' near the edge of Tuckerman's, which gives a darn good sense of accomplishment. you can go further up of course, depending on how much snow you want to deal with. Boott is similar to katahdin cathedral in lenght, commitment, exposure to weather and tech rating.

Jimbo

Thanks for the advice
default_smile.png

saabaru

Jim, join MOAC, they do hikes all the time. My mother is out on a mountain almost every weekend, but rearely do I hear her say, "We climbed Mt.Washington"

I have done it a few times, and went up from Pinkham notch, it is a bit crowded. But not too bad. Took all day, and I was beat..

Latest posts

Back