The unofficial GUN talk thread

MuddyWRX

He got it at G3 in Turner. Out of the 4 places we hit they had as many to choose from as Maine military supply and saved over $100 on the same gun. I've always heard good things and they proved it today. Northeastern had some good stuff too just not what he wanted. Howells had very little other than a nice Windham but they basically wanted msrp on it.

He basically wanted piston because he believes it will run cleaner and be more reliable. Personally I'm not sure if it will be worth the difference in cost but it was definitely fun helping someone else spend their toy money LOL.

Nate

Founding Father
I still don't understand the guys the buy into the whole "It will run cleaner and more reliable" hoax.

These guns get dirty. Plain and simple. If you think your buddy will do the type of shooting that would get it more dirty then say the military that shoot 10x the rounds including full auto... then maybe it's worth it.

There are too many things available to add to your gun that add weight. Adding 5-6 more ounces to the front of a gun seems silly to me. That's what some optics we weigh. It doesn't excuse you from cleaning your gun. In fact I think when it's tIme to clean that gas block. It's a lot of work.

Now don't get me wrong. I still want a piston gun. But it will be in s bigger caliber. I'm thinking piston driven .308 AR.

Jamey

My friend loved my ar so he decided to get one
e2040674.jpg
. Windam weopon brand new 800 out door

Nate

Founding Father
Hey inski. Have you been to Maine Tactical since they moved? I've been wanting to go down but don't know where he is now. Been a while since I've visited.

MuddyWRX

As far as piston goes, to each his own. I have more confidence in a platform that has common parts that I can find anywhere, myself. Plus, fewer moving parts is usually a good thing. But it wan't my money to spend, and he got the AR of his liking. It shot well, doesn't feel any different than my AR. I wasn't sure what to expect since mine is the only one I have ever shot.

I'm almost "done" with mine, I'll throw on a pic later. I am kicking around the idea of a different muzzle brake, maybe a Battlecomp. Something just to reduce muzzle rise. Not that it's bad, just can always make it better. Thinking Battlecomp because they claim it won't make the gun louder. Anyone have any experience with these or a recommendation?

MuddyWRX

I've read there are several that work amazing, but are quite annoying to the people around you.

081212204437.jpg

Picture came out poorly but you get the idea of it at least.

Jamey

Ok after a lot of Sanding I got mag to work what pain that was .. On side note got this today

16994D13-B717-4D07-BE05-AC4F39243B43-877-000000F0D99D8AAE.jpg
and of course it don't fit so had grind lil bit

Last edited by a moderator:

Nate

Founding Father
Got in some time on the new Geissele trigger group. Really glad I got it. Time to relax on my deck and clean. Almost as fun as shooting to me.

20120814_193008.jpg

inski

Nate

Founding Father
That's loud.... but I kind of like the one shown with the extension tube and sleeve that added the rail for an iron sight and sling stud. Pushes three grip out some. But that's what would be comfortable for me.

Nate

Founding Father
Got my new Aimpoint and light mount in.

20120817_083833.jpg

American Defense Aimpoint mount.

20120817_084108.jpg

Impact Weapons Components radial light mount.

20120817_084002.jpg

inski

For Sale. Mosin Nagant Scout Rifle, $275 or best offer. 7.62x54R. Barrel and scope mount work done by the gunsmith Paul at Northeastern Firearms in Turner. Barrel shortened to 19". Re-crowned and re-blued at the tip. NcStar long eye relief scope. MonteCarlo stock. Will include a bunch (couple hundred) of surplus ammo. There are soft point hunting rounds available for it at Cabelas occasionally. Original WW2 wood stock and bands go with it. Cash talks, trades considered.

100_3127.jpg

Latest posts

Back