The unofficial GUN talk thread

Nate

Founding Father
One shot... One kill...

pigeon-killing.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

inski

^^i like that.  Looks rigid.

<<---this guy is excited.  All lower receiver parts are in except buffer and spring.  

Spec:

AR FIFTEEN (by AR57, Aeroprecision) lower "multi" receiver. 

White Oak Armory lower parts kit minus the trigger and hammer.

Windham Trigger and hammer.

Windham buffer tube.  Thanks Nate.

For now the mil-spec/Windham stock but I'll be switching it to the Magpul ACS-L or STR.

Probably will get a Spike's buffer and spring.  Had good performance with the last one.  Maybe a Windham because they're in Maine.
default_biggrin.png

The final outcome of this build is still uncertain.  Probably a Rainier upper and nickel boron BCG.  We ordered a 6.8 18" barrel a long time ago that might mysteriously show up.  Still considering 6x45 due to ease of reloading.  Not ruling out .223/5.56 because good deals are starting to show up again.  The 20" HBAR I had last time was a nice shooter and I did well with it but it was front heavy and no longer felt handy.  It took an extra second and forced you to set up for the shot(s).  Having it shouldered while moving after much more than 5 shots started to erode accuracy.  So, 20" anything is out.  I might do a 14.5" with a long compensator so I can still be 16" compliant. 

inski

where did you get that?  I have an Uncle Mikes competition that folds back and velcros like that one but its hardly dressy enough to wear every day.  Yours has that cool clasp on the front.  Nice for everyday wear, or even out with the honey for dinner.

Gretsch308

i-wagon

Whatever the Russians use for a coating on the steel cased ammo they make doesn't want to come out of the glock

inski

some are zinc plated, some lacquer coated, some copper plated.  The zinc is shiny silver, copper is copper colored and sometimes brass colored, and the lacquer looks like gray steel with a plasticy oil coating.  The lacquer gets gunky after a few dozen hot ones get cycled thru.  Baked on goodness.  Get scrubbin!
default_biggrin.png

inski

Kind of wish I had something that shot 5.45x39.  Kittery has over a hundred spam cans of 5.45x39.  1080 round cans. 

Viago

Certified NRA Instructor
I love it in 9mm.. I prefer more capacity and ease of follow up shots to 45acp any day.  I just don't believe 45acp is the end all of calibers.  I own 2 45's and enjoy shooting the round, but will not use it as a self defense round. I bought it for my girlfriend to carry, so she has it all the time.  I don't mind the gun, but I really have no use for grip safeties.  If you understood how the XDs works internally compared to XD and XDm, you would realize the grip safety isn't even needed on the gun.  They just put it there because XD is known to make their guns with them.  The way the striker operates before firing in the XDs is EXACTLY like a Glock. The striker is at rest and has NO spring tension until you start pulling the trigger back.  Once you reach the rear of the cycle of the trigger pull the striker will fall and fire the gun.  On an XD  or XDm, the striker is under tension, and the trigger pull drops the striker off a sear to fire. 
If you shoot self defense drills, you can use the recoil properly for follow up shots called "The Zipper", and in 45acp is quite effective.

I just picked up an XD 9 tactical with 4 16rd mags recently. Its used and has all its goodies. I love it and i'm not a fan of semi-autos. I don't like Glocks the look and feel like an expensive Hi-Point.  I was quite surprised I ended up liking the XD. I really wanted an XDs or XDm in 45acp.

as a side note, here is my NRA Class schedule.

http://www.mainecarry.com/Maine_Concealed%20_Carry_Courses

Also I'm always looking for 22lr for my classes.

Nate

Founding Father
Zipper drill? If I'm remembering correct, shooting low as you come out of the holster and riding up the body? NO THANK YOU.

I shoot defensive drills regularly. I won't learn point shooting. I prefer to know where my shots are going, not just have an idea of the direction they are headed. I want to account for every shot leaving my gun. My finger will NEVER go into the trigger guard and pull the trigger till my sights are on target. That's just unsafe and stupid. Sorry.

That technique just assumes that your aggressor is standing out in the open and not near anyone else. What about the child that's standing next to the guy with the gun?

Last edited by a moderator:

inski

zippering is starting center mass and continuing upward until aggressor is a fleshy mass on the ground or you're out of ammo.  Riding the recoil will help you naturally "zipper."  Statistically if you start zippering it will end with 2-3 in the torso, 1 in the neck, 1-2 in the head.  The school of thought/training on zippering is forcing an end to the aggressor.  Even if you know he's going down dont stop until your mag is empty, regardless of caliber. Reload, look, assess. 

It has nothing to do with un-aimed shots or purposely aiming low.  You start center mass with well placed shots, ride recoil down and aim, and pick up the pace bringing each consecutive shot higher and higher, zippering up the center line of the body.  There will be a few large cavities on the back side of that person with spaghetti hanging out of them.   The end.  See you in court.

Its all about muscle memory, well placed shots, and familiarity with your equipment.  There will be no text book scenarios. 

Viago

Certified NRA Instructor
Depending on the scenario zipper drill can help. Drills should be practiced and often. As far as court is concerned, protecting your self should be paramount damage to the perp in a self defense scenario is negate in a high stress scenario where your life is in danger.

Latest posts

Back