The unofficial GUN talk thread

i-wagon

I read in a self defense article almost everyone, including some police, unload a whole magazine without realizing it it a self defense situation. Just keep going till they're down, then a few more to make sure they won't get back up.

Viago

Certified NRA Instructor
But is emptying 16 rnds into a perp justified ? I would think it would be trouble in court
you shoot till the threat stops. No more, no less.

there is an article where an home invader pursued a women and her two kids up into the attic where they hid from him. She put 6 rounds of 38sp in him.....he then drove himself to the hospital.

I'm not counting pops in a high stressed situation. ....."My state only allows me to fire 3 shots into my attacker, but i needed 8 to stop the threat" makes no sense.

Nate

Founding Father
I guess I can agree to disagree on the "zipper" technique. My draw stroke and defensive shooting style doesn't lend well to shooting like that. I train to a higher lever of accuracy then just being content with body shots on the range. Given stress those body shots become misses. You only have to read a few FBI statistics to realize that even cops (read: trained individuals) miss 80% of the time. You or I are no different. 

You are right though, however you chose to carry and protect your life, you need to practice. Muscle memory, is KEY to drawing out to save your life when the stress and time presents itself. I dry practice in my basement a couple times a week.  Never stop training!

brighton

Rally Fluffer
984249_530178923709361_382650695_n.jpg
Is this your pic? I saw the same pic on a Facebook page "Zombie Apocalypse survival guide"

Viago

Certified NRA Instructor
I guess I can agree to disagree on the "zipper" technique. My draw stroke and defensive shooting style doesn't lend well to shooting like that. I train to a higher lever of accuracy then just being content with body shots on the range. Given stress those body shots become misses. You only have to read a few FBI statistics to realize that even cops (read: trained individuals) miss 80% of the time. You or I are no different. 

You are right though, however you chose to carry and protect your life, you need to practice. Muscle memory, is KEY to drawing out to save your life when the stress and time presents itself. I dry practice in my basement a couple times a week.  Never stop training!

When at the range, how do you practice? arms fully extended? if so in a close proximity confrontation you wont be able to extend the arms. 

Extending your non dominate arm (or non draw arm) outward and either pushing them back or stepping back with that arm while drawing with your dominate arm (or draw arm) keeping gun tuct on your ribs. practicing in confrontational positions or scenarios as i like to call them will increase your aim and muscle memory for hitting the target. one handed shooting version of close proximity after making some distance (keeping the gun tuckt in is only used to keep it away from being grabbed, use one handed shooting once you get some distance.). You can make good shots one handed, keep arm straight and out, if your arm isn't straight it will take longer to get back on target as recoil will effect followup shots.. look over the sights and pop pop.

but you probably already know that.

smelt240

Field has been cut!  Who's in for a 400 yard shoot? (In Litchfield) Looking at next weekend, weather permitting...

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Picked up a 3rd magazine for my Glock. I already had the extension for a 3rd one so that's installed. Also picked up another Tapco 20rd mag for my SKS, and a 50round drum for .22 conversion on my AR. Looks like I load it the same way I would any other mag. That's a lot of little .22 bullets to load lol.

inski

Field has been cut!  Who's in for a 400 yard shoot? (In Litchfield) Looking at next weekend, weather permitting...
Me again, maybe..  I have to pick up some pallets one of those days.  Other than that I'm free all weekend.  I think I'm on my sister-in-law's moose hunt so I'll need to snap some 30-06 caps.  Need to be able to hit a barn at 200 yards at least.

Nate

Founding Father
Anyone have an AR lower they want to build, or have plans to build a lower? I have an extra lower parts kit I could get rid of.

inski

How much Nate?

So, is 7mmMag or .300 WinMag too much gusto for Maine whitetails?  Thinking about my possible up coming moose hunt.  They say you really can't "drop" a moose unless he's hit in the spine or head, however my brother dropped one with a 30-06 last fall, one shot, feet up in the air with a chest shot.  They also say you can't drop a deer with .223 but my son's friend did it 2 years ago, one shot, collapsed on the spot.  Every time I hit a deer regardless of cartridge or distance it runs off but not very far.  So, I was thinking about upgrading to 7mmMag or .300WinMag in case I have a runner it can't go too far due to the larger hole.  But since it will probably be my only moose hunt the gun will be used for target and deer hunting the rest of its life.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
I know plenty of people that hunt with either of those. It may be a little overkill though. I have dropped a few where they stood with my 30-30, and seen other run off with a double lung hit with a 30-06. They will all kill a deer, I'd say it's more about the deer and environment than the caliber.

Latest posts

Back