The unofficial GUN talk thread

Jamey

I'm seeing if any interest I have a almost brand new kel- tec su 22 with 2 mags red dot flash hider and 1800 rnds of .22

null_zps29319cd7.jpg

null_zpsd7c99a0e.jpg

null_zps32b1c82d.jpg

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Loaded the 50 round drum. Actually loaded really well, and seems to work just like the other .22 conversion mags I have, Just have to find the time to try shooting it now.

inski

Nate, heres a good link for .223 vs. 7.62x39 vs. 6.8spc2 vs. .300AAC vs. 6x45

http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/ar-15/37929-ar15-calibers-223rem-vs-6x45-caliber-vs-6-8spc-vs-300-blackout-vs-7-62x39.html

There is other good info in there as well, but the cliff notes tell me each round does a different job, Theres no such thing as a do all round but once you start playing with bullet weights and powder charges you can alter performance to cover a broad span of any ballistics graph.

Watch out!  The ARs in .204 Ruger are coming!  Looks like a fast lil rocket ship.

Nate

Founding Father
Good link Inski.  As I kinda said, That's why I like 300blk for hunting purposes.  Around here you just don't need to make a shot greater then 200 yards.  Plus toss in the fact that I can source 5.56 bolts, and magazines.

Looks to me like 6x45 performs roughly like 6.8spc.  But while using 5.56 bolt/magazines.

Guess it comes down to what you want to do with the bullet.  

Also when reloading (assuming you would reload either) 300blk uses any .308 caliber bullet (read: easy to find).  What does the 6x45 use?  Can you get it?  Just food for thought.  I hope in the near future to be able to find factory ammo coming back around.  But until then you have to wonder: Are you building a gun you can't buy/build ammo for?

75%!!!! Just picked up a G19!!!

4uga6a7e.jpg
I just see a pile of guns needing Nate trigger jobs.

inski

Also when reloading (assuming you would reload either) 300blk uses any .308 caliber bullet (read: easy to find).  What does the 6x45 use?  Can you get it? 
6x45 uses .243 bullets up to 90 grain, after 90gr they are too long for even the steel AR mags.  Those bullets are plentiful.   Nosler makes ammo for them for $22- $29 per box, not what I want to pay for ammo so I'd have to load every single round, which I can do, but I'm a lazyfuck.  So, its looking like .223 more and more.  However, we've already got a carbine in that cartridge.  And theres always the option of building yet another which I'm seriously thinking about because prices are plummeting.  One of these will be a 14.5" with a long compensator.  

smelt240

6x45 uses .243 bullets up to 90 grain, after 90gr they are too long for even the steel AR mags.  Those bullets are plentiful.   Nosler makes ammo for them for $22- $29 per box, not what I want to pay for ammo so I'd have to load every single round, which I can do, but I'm a lazyfuck.  So, its looking like .223 more and more.  However, we've already got a carbine in that cartridge.  And theres always the option of building yet another which I'm seriously thinking about because prices are plummeting.  One of these will be a 14.5" with a long compensator.  
 Just to wonder.... why would you do a 14.5 barrel with the pinned and welded flash hider?  I have one on one of my Bushmasters,14.5"  barrel with a welded 2" ak-74 style flash hider- bought it that way, and always wondered why it was done, looks? Do they perform a bit better?. It just seems like if you're going to have 16" of length, why not have it all barrel? Not questioning what you want to do, just wondering about the pros and cons of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

i-wagon

I've wondered that myself, I've think more barrel would have more powder burn time for better velocity and more distance with the rifling would stabilize more

Nate

Founding Father
You could sort of say it's looks.  I like to think of it like: Do I really NEED all that barrel?  10" barreled AR's are capable of MOA groups out to 200 yards just fine.  Sure you lose a touch velocity, but not a big deal.  

16" total is the standard law. So pinning and welding on a flash hider/comp allows you to shorten the overall length, decrease weight, and achieve a smaller package.  

A true military M4 rifle (what the base our typical AR after) is actually a 14" barrel.  We have M4 profile barrels, they are just 16".

Nate

Founding Father
Lower parts kit available, with build services available.  I can build a lower with milspec furniture, or magpul MOE furniture, and Pmag included.  PM for pricing.  You supply the lower.

inski

Just to wonder.... why would you do a 14.5 barrel with the pinned and welded flash hider?  I have one on one of my Bushmasters,14.5"  barrel with a welded 2" ak-74 style flash hider- bought it that way, and always wondered why it was done, looks? Do they perform a bit better?. It just seems like if you're going to have 16" of length, why not have it all barrel? Not questioning what you want to do, just wondering about the pros and cons of it.

I've wondered that myself, I've think more barrel would have more powder burn time for better velocity and more distance with the rifling would stabilize more
Basically what Nate said.  Just a bit of overall reduction in length.  Something that's a whisker quicker maneuvering during competition.  Most holes need to be punched at less than 50 yards.  I still haven't decided.  Might go with a 18in mid-length or 16in mid-length.  The 20in Hbar I used to have was excellent out to 600+yards.  Could of been better with a shooter that wsan't half blind.  10-12 weeks wait on the 6x45.  Fookthat.  Waiting for another pin and end plate for the lower and that will be done.  Then the serious decision making and shoppin starts.

smelt240

Basically what Nate said.  Just a bit of overall reduction in length.  Something that's a whisker quicker maneuvering during competition.  Most holes need to be punched at less than 50 yards.  I still haven't decided.  Might go with a 18in mid-length or 16in mid-length.  The 20in Hbar I used to have was excellent out to 600+yards.  Could of been better with a shooter that wsan't half blind.  10-12 weeks wait on the 6x45.  Fookthat.  Waiting for another pin and end plate for the lower and that will be done.  Then the serious decision making and shoppin starts.
Well, if we ever hook up to do some shooting, you're more than welcome to try out our little "entry gun"   Its just a Bushy with a few cheap bolt ons, and a CMMG .22 bolt conversion.    My wife and I were burning through 1000+ rounds a week before ammo went nuts. I took it out the other day, and blew up some diet cokes that were left outside for a week.   I also have the 16" Bushmaster ORC to compare it to.

Latest posts

Back