whining noise in first gear?

i-wagon

Check the dip stock and check the color. Might just be terribly overdue oil. I use Lucas in my transmission with shell spirax synthetic stuff, seems to like it

scoobiesforlife

most likely, i heard it whine a little bit in 2nd, seems to only really happen in the lower rpms (less than 2k) i still need to save money and have my clutch done. meyagi lives too far away for it to make it worth it for me right now. hopefully i can talk with my boss at work and him and i can do it, hes done a clutch at least twice right now, once for an oem clutch replacement, and the 2nd time was to put a stage 2 clutch in it.

Vecken

i could do the clutch and transmission swap, but I currently lack the facilities to do it in, and as always, want to have an extra day's worth of time for unforseen consequences on a car nearing "antique" status soon.

scoobiesforlife

im just going to change the fluid in the trans, maybe the clutch if it gives my any serious problems, and work on saving for a car payment (as much as i dont want too) cuz i cant keep trying to put more money into this car than it seems to be worth to me. fwd in the winter...dont really care for the feeling anymore after driving a 98 outback for 5 winters

scoobiesforlife

update on the problem, it really only seems to whine a little bit when the fluid is cold...it tends to go away after about 5-10 min (weather dependent) little more time in colder days (lower than 40 degrees)  but when its really warm and nice out (over 60) it doesn't do it at all, i haven't been able to do the fluid change yet, but i will be in the next couple weeks, along with my oil change.

scoobiesforlife

so i ended up picking up 80-90 gl-5 gear oil, not remembering what was recommended on here. it is a lucas gear oil though, not sure if that makes any difference, what i did have in my hands were the valvoline synthetic 75-90 gear oil.

i did however pick up the bottle of lucas, the guy said that the "Lucas Oil Stabilizer" is what i wanted for the manual transmissions.

should i go back and return the 2 quarts of 80-90 and get 75-90? 

i-wagon

I wouldn't run straight Lucas stabilizer, and my transmission didn't like one kind of synthetic, it would grind after the oil warmed up.

scoobiesforlife

I wouldn't run straight Lucas stabilizer, and my transmission didn't like one kind of synthetic, it would grind after the oil warmed up.
its not all lucas, the 80-90 gear oil is made by lucas. its their own brand of GL-5 gear oil.

the oil stabilizer is also made by lucas, im just not sure if that is the proper one for a manual trans, the guy at advance said it would work.

i-wagon

I guess I didn't read that right then. If it's synthetic Lucas gear oil I had that in my car and that was the one I was thinking about earlier, once warmed up it's too slippery and hated synchros. I used synthetic stabilizer and synthetic shell gear oil with good result. But most Dino oil should be ok

scoobiesforlife

you are forgiven, my main point of the update for fluid choice was if i got the correct weight. is the 80-90 alright? i haven't seen a 75-90 weight without it being advances brand.

Latest posts

Back