Who Runs Amsoil or Rotella T6?

flat4awd

Owl's Auto JDM
I never replaced a crush washer, ever, until last year. I never had any oil leaks from the drain plug either.
I've also never replaced a crush washer, never had a problem with leaking either. I've been told to replace the washer, but I don't always do what I'm told
default_wink.png
I run Castrol Syntec (it's the white quart), and Fram super duty or something for a filter. I change my oil so frequently that I don't even worry about filters, I just make sure she has oil. My engine's probably going to blow up anyway, I'll just rebuild it with a 2.2 block when that happens
default_smile.png

Cars are a poor investment, they always need repairing, break down a lot, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roche

I'm thinking of buying this www.upscaleautomotive.com/p-11748-oem-subaru-blue-oil-filter-and-crush-washer-15208aa100g but does anyone know of a cheaper place? I know its not pricey but I've heard they were $6. I also find it hard to find OEM subaru filters

herocrank

I can vouch for the shell rotella T6. I have also sent out oil analysis today actually and will report back when I get it back. The 40 wt oils are the best choice for our engines as they are hard on oil. mobil 1 0w40 is a great selection as well as shell rotella T6 5w40, you cant go wrong with either of these on top of the OEM subaru filter. I was using the mobil 1 5w30 for warrantys sake when I took my 2011 wrx home. the 5w30 would run right through my engine. I would consume about 1.5 qts in 3000 miles, and upon switching to the 5w40 my consumption went to 0 qts in 3000.

blehhh

so tempted to toss out my warranty and use Rotella or Royal Purple... I heard that Mobil 1 5w30 is TERRIBLE for my engine, but that's what the dealership uses!
default_frown.gif

sooch

Type-RA
i would keep that warranty until its up.... Sometimes problems cant be avoided, no matter how you treat those motors. Ask Justin about his GR motors...

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
i would keep that warranty until its up.... Sometimes problems cant be avoided, no matter how you treat those motors. Ask Justin about his GR motors...
GR motors suck lol

bad piston in my 09 wrx---->>new shortblock(partial warranty)

bad piston in my 08 sti------>>piston replacement(warranty, not happy about it)

spun rod bearing in my 08 sti---->>longblock and turbo replacement(warranty, very happy about it)

each time i used subaru recommended oil. the 09 wrx, well pm me about it.

for the sti though, let it warm up before boosting, didn't go higher than stage 2, and let it cool down properly, and still had those engine problems. it was a used vehicle when i bought it, so i don't know how it was treated before...

I've been using the T6 since i had the longblock replacement in May 2012 and i can tell you from my experience, that the engine runs much smoother. I have had no oil consumption, but the mpg did go down slightly, just because it is a heavier oil.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask me

herocrank

so tempted to toss out my warranty and use Rotella or Royal Purple... I heard that Mobil 1 5w30 is TERRIBLE for my engine, but that's what the dealership uses!
default_frown.gif
its not the brand mobil 1 5w30, its the 30 weight oil that's the problem. on other sites people commonly compare the T6 to mobil 1 5w30. you cant compare the two because a 30 wt oil and a 40 wt oil behave differently in our engines. the 30 wt oils tend to shear down to 20 wt before our change interval is up. 40 wt oils are the only oil one should run. the 30 wt doesn't give us the protection required but subaru requires it because of mpgs. i would suggest to you that you should forget that royal purple exists, but visit www.bobistheoilguy.com and sift through tons of threads about this topic.

herocrank

why would you want to forget about it? its what a ton of people use in their subarus....
that's because they have no clue about engine oil. royal purple shears down very quickly in our engines. tons of people have the uoa to prove that fact. it is a weak oil that has no business in our engines. uoa= used oil analysis from a place like blackstone labs that tests used oil.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2137665

see this thread here above, then search more on nasioc concerning the royal purple brand of motor oil, and then the proven success of the T6.

blehhh

I've heard many bad things about Royal Purple, but also many good things. The interval makes sense though. I think I will try to ditch the stock tune and run Rotella as soon as possible.

Meyagi

I'm a hack
my 530whp accord lost the oil pump at 7k rpm in a 4th gear pull (gears shattered) and the pull continued to rev limit before i saw the gauge was reading zero. pulled off the side of the road and shut the car off. got out checked my oil pressure feed line to the gauge, started the car again to verify it wasnt the gauge, indeed had no oil pressure. pulled the old oil pump off, threw it in the trash, and installed a new one. that was when the motor was a year old, its now 5 years old. i cant even begin to describe the abuse ive put that motor through.... burnouts on rev limiter for 10-20 sec at a time in every gear under 5th, countless dragstrip passes, thousands of miles etc..... its been running royal purple since i built it, if that oil sucked, losing the oil pump would have wiped the bearings out instantly at that kind of load and rpm, but the results speak for themselves.

mobil1 5w30 on the other hand, sucks. ive replaced countless wrx motors that lost rod bearings running that stuff, even stock cars that werent abused blew up on it. once its hot, its way too thin.

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Thread revival! Im thinking about switching to t6 after reading this thread. I use the syth subaru stuff right from the dealer, I have since I bought the car and changed every 3750 as reccomended. I dont leak or burn a drop, but after 2k miles the oil seems to lose quite a bit of viscosity, I dont like that. Has anyone else noticed this with their car?

blehhh

I should probably make the switch to T6 soon here. Just turned 8k, stock tune, dealership oil changes. ugghh...

Zach

Still running T6 and have gone through 5 oil changes so far, the car seems to be running much smoother also. i change the oil every 2500 miles because Mike said my cams are showing ware

Latest posts

Back