$1500 later....

i-wagon

So as some of you know the head gaskets were going on my 07 imp. I bought a ton of genuine Subaru parts (sti hg, valve cover seals, spark plug seals, water pump, timing belt and tensioner, clutch Kit with flywheel pressure plate and bearings). Had my mechanic do the work almost a month ago. As soon as I got it back I noticed shine wicked chattering on takeoff and when releasing the clutch after a shift. After done time it got a bit better, but it sill shudders/chatters/something if I let the clutch out slow. Brought it back to my mechanic and he thinks it's skipping under load and recommended plug wires. Joel says if it were to skip I'd have check engine light and he certainly doesn't want to think the oe clutch parts could be bad right out of the box. Anyone have any ideas? I can take off just right with no shudder, but sometimes it does it downshifting

MAINIAC XV

The Eco Man
Bad Gas
default_additional_iam.gif

Apollyon12

My dad told me a story about another mechanic he worked with, who didn't clean a brand new cluch off before he installed it.   When it was done, the car wouldn't move, clutch would just slip.   There was some kind of grease or anti-rust stuff on the clutch and because it wasn't cleaned off, it wouldn't work at all.   He had to take the whole thing apart again and clean it.   Worked fine after that.

Also, I don't know, but wouldn't you want to scuff the old clutch plate the same way you do brake rotors?   Non-circular pattern, so that the new clutch will have new metal to bite into???

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Flywheels often have machine oil on them out of the box, same deal with the pressure plate. This is to keep them for rusting in the box. Same deal with brake rotors, that's why you clean everything off with brake clean before installing.

It sounds more like a clutch issue, or not being installed correctly rather than an engine problem. It was running before it came out, no reason it would stop running well now.

i-wagon

Flywheels often have machine oil on them out of the box, same deal with the pressure plate. This is to keep them for rusting in the box. Same deal with brake rotors, that's why you clean everything off with brake clean before installing.

It sounds more like a clutch issue, or not being installed correctly rather than an engine problem. It was running before it came out, no reason it would stop running well now.
That's what I thought, I'm wondering if he didn't clean the flywheel or I heard since come warped

Meyagi

I'm a hack
probably didnt clean the flywheel and pressure plate. ive never had new oem clutch components do that.

DShane

Your mechanic definitely didn't properly clean the flywheel before re-installing it. Like chris said, flywheels come coated in a lubricant. Since the clutch disc is made out of a wearable material very similiar to brake pads, lubricants will eat through this. Imagine spraying your brake pads in WD40. You would get the same shudder sensation whenever you hit the brakes. The lubricant is eating your clutch disc and causing it to wear unevenly.

i-wagon

So would taking it apart and cleaning everything help or would it already have done too much damage

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
It all needs to come apart and be inspected.

If we go on the assumption that your mechanic didn't clean off the pp and fw, then hopefully they haven't warped or gotten effed up and you can just slam a new disk in.

And these situations are why I roll my eyes when people on here talk about "my mechanic"

i-wagon

It all needs to come apart and be inspected.

If we go on the assumption that your mechanic didn't clean off the pp and fw, then hopefully they haven't warped or gotten effed up and you can just slam a new disk in.

And these situations are why I roll my eyes when people on here talk about "my mechanic"
Originally a former eg tech was going to just help me do the work but scheduling didn't work out

i-wagon

So through all this I've worked out some sort of plan. If I can't do the work myself with my favorite mechanical guy, I'll pay evergreen to do it since they'll stand behind the install too. New, what's the likelihood of my brand new throw out bearing taking damage from this? I can't really See that it would have, but if it has I want to do that while I'm in there

DShane

Throw out bearing will be fine, you might want to check to see if he greased it before he put it on though considering his inadequate work on the rest of the clutch. Might also want to check that he properly torqued the flywheel bolts while you're in there. Lots of minor details that can cause lots of damage when doing a clutch replacement.

i-wagon

Everything well be coming out and at least inspected. I've heard from a reputable source that sometimes flywheels come warped, so might just replace the works. Still have my original flywheel, might experiment with trying to lighten it in the lathe at work

Latest posts

Back