2000 OBS gas filling issue

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
What would be the reason for this car not being able to take fuel when pumping gas. You have to go really slow with it in order to taker gas. When you do get done, the inside smells like gas fumes. I don't see any leaks around the fill pipe, and don't smell gas there either. I have heard of this before, just couldn't remember all the details of hat causes it.

rallyimp

My 98 forester has the same issue I've been told its a ball valve in the filler neck, just been dealing with it

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Ball valve in filler neck is done. Replace filler neck. It might not look rusted , but crud builds up under plastic shield in wheel well..dont worry it IS rusted! Filler neck job isn't bad, just dirty and frustating if you're impatient.

IBratmanI

Oh I know all about filler neck replacement. I have done quite a few. And it's not rusted. I know that that plastic guard traps shit and causes it to rust as well. My point is that this is not a rusty filler neck. But it sounds like this valve can fail regardless of the condition on the outside? If so, even though it takes time to put gas in, can it continue to be used like this? Will it get worse, or just keep acting the same way.

Matt

its a roll over valve, you can continue to drive it like that and fill it.....slowly. worst that should happen is it stops taking fuel.

IBratmanI

Ok, I was wondering about that. So it is possible it will stop taking fuel? That would not be a good thing.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Roll over valve on the back of the neck. I just did the job on my legacy. Get a new neck and valve from Subaru Parts 4 You and its like 140 out the door, (may vary for impreza, mine was a legacy one).

The valve is on the back of the neck so it needs come out anyways to get to it, so while its out, just replace the neck.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
... But it sounds like this valve can fail regardless of the condition on the outside? If so, even though it takes time to put gas in, can it continue to be used like this? Will it get worse, or just keep acting the same way.
think of it this way: yes, you can keep dribbling gas in. You already know it can take 5-10 minutes to fill the tank. Say you fill up once a week, that's 520 minutes or 8.666 hours per year. Replacing the filler neck takes one hour or so. Hint hint.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Lol, it isn't my car, just getting info for someone else.
had exact same scenario with my g/f's 98 Fozzy. She didn't want to spend the $$ initially. After a few weeks of dribbling in a couple gals at a time, she said

"just fix the )*&^&^$#!! thing!"

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
The rally car does that, but takes fuel from a can no prob. but the neck gets beat up pretty hard in rally.

Sorry but I was under the impression that the reason the fuel filler does this is a plugged vent line in the system...

Am I way off here?

I just had mine all apart to make sure it's rust proofed and I made sure to blow out all my lines. One of them in particular, the large fitting coming right off the top of the neck, was quite clogged.

My car isn't doing the slow fill but I had it off so I figured I would do some PM.

WB

Latest posts

Back