A couple shifting problems...

hesitantOBS

Problem #1, as discussed in another thread:

indy-4-2-gearbox.gif

My shifter does not automatically return to the center of the H when out of gear (from the 1st/2nd area, but returns from the 5th/reverse area) so I think that a spring is busted or something. Question: Is it a spring or a bushing? If a bushing, will the Kartboy bushing fix that?

Problem #2:

2nd gear syncro problems. Car shifts fine when cold, but when I've been driving for a bit, it grinds going from 1st -> 2nd. Matching engine revs eliminates this, but it gets aggravating to wait for the engine to idle down to shift...

I plan on changing the drive train fluids when I do my suspension swap. Is there anything else I should plan for so I can eliminate or diminish this issue?

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Problem #1 I think Evilaspie addressed the solution to that problem in your first thread.

Problem #2

hesitantOBS

Evilaspie mentioned it _might_ be a bushing, but nobody confirmed that. Can someone (Shorty or tech guy) confirm? Or even yourself, Pedro?

Kinda guess that the trans was on it's way there. Why does it only do it when the fluid is hot though?

akinaspeedstar

kartboy bushings will NOT help that. there not what you think they are. there more of an engine mount. what im doing this weekend should help with that, you have to replace the shifter yoke in the linkage they get worn out and get sloppy. granted to do so you need to drop a cross member. as for a spring to pull it back to center, if there is one. its in the transmission and not easily accessible.

Rightseat

there IS a spring to help return the lever to center...it's on the outside of the trans up top in the shift linkage itself. you can get at it OK without dropping trans or exhaust, but it's tight. You need to have skinny arms and reach up past exhaust to reach spring, so jack car up securely and wait til things have cooled down to try the job. there may be a heat shield in the way, if so, you may have to reach the spring from inside the car--pull center console and outer/inner shift boots for access this way. look for a parts diagram online to see what we're talking here.

as for crunchy 1-2 shift, you have a couple options: good synthetic gear oil like Motul Gear 300 or Gear FF can make a noticeable difference. I had crunchy syncros in my RS race car, and the motul cured them 99%. This trans is still going strong on a well-known RS-swapped L that has belonged to a couple of STMers. Need to realize that suby gearboxes need patient use...you can't just cram em from 1st to 2nd bam-bam like a Mustang drag racer. Think, "pull shifter OUT of 1st, pause a beat, then pull it into 2nd mindfully, grasshoppa." The pause doesn't have to be long, but needs to be done.

If ppl shifted their suby boxes like this more, there wouldn't be so many "suby transmissions SUCK" threads here and elsewhere.
default_biggrin.png

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Evilaspie mentioned it _might_ be a bushing, but nobody confirmed that. Can someone (Shorty or tech guy) confirm? Or even yourself, Pedro?

Kinda guess that the trans was on it's way there. Why does it only do it when the fluid is hot though?
Hillman #82 is the part you need.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

When was the last time you changed the trans fluid? If it hasn't been done in basically forever you can have some water in there. when you start to move you mix the two ibwaterandoildontmix and create a foam.

drain and refill with an appropriate gearoil. Motul300, redline MTL90, whatever. (mobil 1 syn tends to be not so hot in subys)

hesitantOBS

Hmm... quite possible. I've only owned the car for a month, so I don't know the history. I don't drive it a whole lot though, so it's just now starting to show.

I've gotta change all the fluids. I guess the motto of "do it once, do it right, do it soon" applies here. :-

So AkinaSpeedStar says one thing, and then Nigel Prodrive says another. Who's right?

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Hmm... quite possible. I've only owned the car for a month, so I don't know the history. I don't drive it a whole lot though, so it's just now starting to show.

I've gotta change all the fluids. I guess the motto of "do it once, do it right, do it soon" applies here. :-

So AkinaSpeedStar says one thing, and then Nigel Prodrive says another. Who's right?

I gave you the part number for the spring. Nigel Rally's an Impreza. and has been eyeballs deep in one numerous times in the last couple months. The kartboy bushings definitely help with slop. but for your centering problem you will need to replace that spring. you should be able to find it at ACE hardware stores.

It is difficult to diagnose a car over the internet. It is very much a done by feel and by symptoms thing. If you run into trouble let me know. I will take a look at it the next time I am in Keene.

hesitantOBS

I gave you the part number for the spring. Nigel Rally's an Impreza. and has been eyeballs deep in one numerous times in the last couple months. The kartboy bushings definitely help with slop. but for your centering problem you will need to replace that spring. you should be able to find it at ACE hardware stores.

It is difficult to diagnose a car over the internet. It is very much a done by feel and by symptoms thing. If you run into trouble let me know. I will take a look at it the next time I am in Keene.
Ah, that's what you meant by "Hillman #82" I'll check it out at my local store. Alright, so that's where Mr. Prodrive gets his knowledge, thanks.

Yeah, I know it's difficult. You guys have been really helpful so far. Even though I may not be describing things right... lol. I'm going to drain the fluids sometime this week and get this taken care of. Do I need to add anything to the mix (like the LSD additive or anything)?

I'm pretty handy with dismantling stuff and putting it back together, I just like to know what I'm getting into beforehand though. Thanks for the offer.

akinaspeedstar

nigel is correct, i was just making an educated guess and think i said as much in my post. in almost everything take nigels word on it. chances are he's broken it
default_biggrin.png

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Ah, that's what you meant by "Hillman #82" I'll check it out at my local store. Alright, so that's where Mr. Prodrive gets his knowledge, thanks.

Yeah, I know it's difficult. You guys have been really helpful so far. Even though I may not be describing things right... lol. I'm going to drain the fluids sometime this week and get this taken care of. Do I need to add anything to the mix (like the LSD additive or anything)?

I'm pretty handy with dismantling stuff and putting it back together, I just like to know what I'm getting into beforehand though. Thanks for the offer.

I am pretty sure you don't have any LSD's in your car. Try using the correct gear oil. that should help. then if you still get the slight grind going into gear, try adding the syncromesh. in with the gear oil (let a little out of the trans first)

Back