Any way to disable factory alarm?

DCG

I need to replace the battery on the wife's Outback tonight.. When the battery terminals come on/off, it sets off the alarm and makes me batshit crazy. Is there a fuse I can pull/anything else I can do to prevent this from happening?

R

redlinerally

I take it you don't have the remotes? Under the dash, right near the hood release handle, you'll find a wire with a little button on it. You have to dig around a little but not much. Other than that, if you turn the key to the on position before you connect the terminals, that works too. Watch you sparks and explosions. If you do blow up, I'm deleteing this post
default_frown.gif
You might be able to delete it. But I have just officially immortalized it! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11ONE!!!11111111!!!!!

DCG

I do have the remote. But even with the alarm off, it still goes off when remove I the battery cable, so I can shut it off with the remote, but I'm trying to prevent it from going off at all. Everytime it goes off when my head's under the hood, I swear it takes a year off my life. Sparks and explosions? Man I'm not trying that
default_frown.gif

R

redlinerally

If that pattern holds true, ask Pedro how many years I took from him this weekend. >
default_frown.gif

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
The explosion is only a problem with an old leaky battery. The most you'll get outa the alarm this way is a short "blip".

R

rallyXcramps

Usually having the key in the ignition and in the 'ON' postion before you hook up the battery keeps the alarm from going on.

and cutting the wires to the siren prevents life threatening sound checks.
default_frown.gif

DCG

I ended up using the method of "have co-worker standby with alarm remote ready to mash all buttons whilst I connect battery cable". Seemed to work pretty good. ;D

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
That'll work too. I guess getting help wasn't sumpthin' I thought of.

My wifes rollin' in the twin to your 98. Green and gold limited w/WRX wheels and 215/60R16 Michelins. I could get used to the heated seats.

Latest posts

Back