Are they trying to screw me?!

subaruN00B

Hey guys,

I'm a new car owner, and thus new to Subarus. I bought a 2010 Subaru Impreza (H4-2457cc 2.5L; 33,000+ miles) with no bells or whistles, just the standard model. Anyway... I took my car to get its oil changed and the mechanic of a chain garage store told me that he did some research and found the following "severe" maintenance details:

-Air cleaner/element replacement

-Automatic Transaxle fluid replacement

-Cabin air filter replacement

-differential fluid replacement

-spark plugs replacement

He told me it needed to be done ASAP and that it would come to nearly $600! Was this guy trying to screw me over or is it really essential that I do all of that maintenance this early to maintain the longevity of my car?

I am a poor college student so I would only be able to do these separately so which do you believe are vital and completely necessary? Is this stuff really that expensive or should I start looking elsewhere?

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
all of those items do fall under regular maintenance plans for these cars....

I have never changed the cabin air filter, that alone is about $30.

for the air intake filter, maybe get a k&n, and just wash it every couple of oil changes, or just keep the regular paper element. if it doesn't look dirty, it doesn't need to be replaced(they are white)

spark plugs are expensive only because it takes forever for the labor. If you can find someone on here that can help you do it, you would be better off in that aspect. Where are you located?

as for the diff and tranny fluid that should also be replaced, only because if there is no documentation of it being done, and something in your drivetrain goes(I.e. tranny or differentials) they can deny any warranty claim because you didn't follow the maintenance schedule.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but to be optimistic, I'm sure you might be able to find someone to help you do the labor if you purchase the parts/fluid.

And last but not least, Welcome!!!

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Here is the 2009 MY Service schedule.

There aren't that many differnces between that and a 2011.

but you do need your plugs done if you haven't had them changed yet.

Iboc_C64

I drive a 2009 WRX and have 58,500+ miles on it. There may be other oppinions, but I would say that in order to maintain your warranty you need to carry out the maintenance described in your owners manual. The dealership know of all the little things to check so you would get the best work done there, but for oil changes I go to VIP or do it myself and use Royal Purple. I only changed my brake fluid at around 30,000 miles and have yet to change my cabin air filter once, that probably should be done but Im the one who is gonna suffer for that one, not the engine. I use a K&N air filter so I just clean it when it gets clogged about every 25,000 miles, but that depends on the roads you travel for that interval. I changed my gear oil in the transmission and differentials around 55,000 miles. As long as you do what your users manual says and keep checking everything else periodically you should be fine I would think. Other than that, yes, many shops will tell the unknowing that it is important that they carry out other maintenance that is unecessary because they know that you don't know, and that to them means there is money to be made. If you just bought the car from a dealership, chances are they took care of all that before you recieved it I would think.

Meyagi

I'm a hack
that's a sohc, a child could change those plugs in under an hour. that service should cost 200 MAX

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
that's a sohc, a child could change those plugs in under an hour. that service should cost 200 MAX
Take it to Mike to have the service done. He won't screw you over, and he'll get the job done right.

It might even leave the shop with a big turbo and manual transmission haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

inski

Welcome!!

I'd call Evergreen Subaru. I'm 100% sure their price will be a lot lower. Ask about the 30,000 mile service.

-Subaru does NOT have any service schedule recommendation for automatic transmissions. Just check the level and make sure nothings leaking out of it. that's it.

-Your car probably does not have a cabin filter.

-You do not have follow the maintenance schedule exactly. You can do a little here and there. Your warranty is good no matter how or when you get it done.

-Evergreen strives to be competitively priced with other local shops, and we know Subarus which is a big plus if you own a Subaru.

Gate4jg

When I had the 30k work done it was about $450. Though I didn't have the cabin airfilter or spark plugs replaced and I did the oil myself. I am a firm believer you do not replace any air filter until it becomes somethings nest. lol Im surprised the guy didnt say you needed you light fluid changed or muffler bearings replaced.

inski

Yeah that's the other thing. Theres no sense in beating your wallet to death all at once. Do the plugs, then the diffs another week, then a week or so later do the filter. Above all make sure you keep your records of all maintenance if someone other than the dealer does your work. It will help if something goes sour in the future.

Latest posts

Back