Bad Valve Cover Gasket?

RyanR

///|||\\\|||///|||\\&#092
Probably turbo or valve seals.  Pull off your intercooler and see if it has a ton of oil in it.  Then, pull off your downpipe and see if the turbo shaft has much play to it, and if you can see oil/oil sludge in the exhaust housing.

Does it puff smoke when the car is hot, but you idle it for a while then hit the gas?

You could have an exhaust leak that is causing the white smoke to come out of the hood scoop as well.

Subarulover7

Probably turbo or valve seals.  Pull off your intercooler and see if it has a ton of oil in it.  Then, pull off your downpipe and see if the turbo shaft has much play to it, and if you can see oil/oil sludge in the exhaust housing.

Does it puff smoke when the car is hot, but you idle it for a while then hit the gas?

You could have an exhaust leak that is causing the white smoke to come out of the hood scoop as well.
When I had a gasket put between my turbo and down pipe they discovered my up pipe had a leak to it. I'm beginning to think this is the issue because when I pop the hood the smoke seems to be coming right from underneath the turbo right where the up pipe meets the turbo. Only smokes on quick drives, long drives i notice the smell and the smoke but the longer I go the more it dissipates. I think the up pipe is the answer but we also discovered that I have a weeping valve cover gasket on the side of my up pipe so that could be a contributing factor. Would love to figure this out been doing this for 3 months now.

White smoke is water based.

Blue is oil based.

Black is due to running rich.

Coolant has a very distinct smell, it's quite hard to describe.

Last edited by a moderator:

KhaosWRX

Did you find out what the leak was? I've seen the same thing minus the white smoke on a customers legacy gt and that was valve covers. I recommended both even though the left one wasn't all that bad. Right side was leaking right onto the header and up pipe.
I'm experiencing this same issue on my 05. just the turbo side, got a feeling its a valve gasket issue. doesn't smell like coolant so id say oil.

Latest posts

Back