ball joint remover

Vecken

Does anyone have a lower ball joint remover to loan for a single job? The drivers side took me almost 3 hours with a hammer and crowbar and I still need to do the passenger side. I feel the right tool for the job would help a lot. Really can't afford to be pulled over for an inspection sticker for a single 30$ part. Thanks!

Matt

what tool is it? im assuming were talking subaru and all ive ever done is taken the nut off, hit the side of the lower control arm where the ball joint is to break it free, remove the knuckle and get out your torch to heat it up so you dont break the bolt and they usually come right out.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
There used to be a balljoint tool sold by turn in concepts called "snipers ball tugger", but they don't sell it anymore. The last balljoint I did I broke the knuckle bolt head off. Good times.

Hope you have access to a torch OP.

Vecken

It's just a matter of removing the ball joint housing from the knuckle where the pinch bolt is, I lucked out on the drivers side and the pinch bolt came out with minimal fighting, but it took an air hammer to the split in the knuckle and jumping on a crowbar to get it loose. Is there any safer methods???

Oh, and Maine rust can suck my hairy sweaty *****

Vecken you're in Porland so it doesn't help that I have a tool for that. Only 5 min of work to remove it from the control arm. Now the pinch bolt is another story, soak that thing overnight, or more. I pulled off my entire knuckle and soaked the bolt in a tuna can full of pb blaster.

What about a tool loan from a shop?

I bet a pitman puller would work too, used one of those on my Eurovan last year to remove lower balls.

I would advise against the air hammer. Make sure you inspect the knuckle in that area for cracks. To get the old one out I used a smaller chisel and the bolted the ball joint back into the control arm. Then I took a 6 foot pry bar with a tapered end and stuffed it between the knuckle and the control arm. Push down and out it comes.

Throw the new ones in the freezer overnight to shrink them down a bit. It will aid in getting it in the knuckle.

As for the pinch bolt, I believe a 1/4" drill bit was just the right size to drill out the bolt but I am not absolutely sure. Only drill it out if you are confident in your ability to do so as I have seen people wreck stuff because they didn't know what they were doing. I also bought a tap to clean the threads up.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Bryan mentions some good points.

For stuck bolts, you really need to do at least hot, if not hot cold. Get a crappy torch if you cant afford oxy acetylene. 3M or PB or someone also makes a freeze spray. The thermal shrinking and expansion will cause the threads to hopefully become free from being rust fused together.

Also, I have drilled and tapped out one of my knuckles. It wasn't for the feint of heart. BUT, if you are a DIY guy, you really need a good drill and tap set as you are going to break bolts.

Vecken

i will make the attempt on Friday, already picked up the replacement. doing this in a driveway is not too much fun with frozen fingers, so if anyone is gracious enough to let me use some garage space for 2 hours i would make it worth while. anyone between Standish and Brunswick?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back