Body shop recommendations

Isacco

So my bugeye wagon has some rust over the wheel wells, shocker i know. I was thinking of just taking the tiger hair to it but i think i want it fixed right. I'm just looking to see if anyone has a body shop recommendation in the greater Bangor area. I don't mind spending a little extra to have it done right.

uej6.jpg

skipow

i went the fiberglass / bondo route once trying to fix that rust. came back within a year. best is to have it completely cut out and new sheet metal fitted. 

EllaE just had her quarter panels done in oxford ( i know that's a haul from bangor) for $300 a side. they cut out all the rust and welded all new metal in, painted, looks awesome. 

Isacco

that's what i was afraid of skipow. I figured i'd have it done right verses dealing with it again. Oxford is a haul but 300 a side seems like a pretty fair price. 

sooch

Type-RA
Joe Ridley in Litchfield is great. He did my car:

gFx6l09.jpg

It's not perfect, there are some things we need to address in the springtime, but hes affordable and does it in his barn. Takes one car at a time and takes his time. If you want more details on how to get in touch with him let me know, or urabusturbo. (He got his legacy redone by Joe). 

urabusturbo

Depends on how thorough you want and how much prep is necessary. He is very good and I plan on having a lot more done by him.

Jamey

He did my bumper and lip both need be repainted not sure what happend . Unfourtunely I don't have the time to have him redo it

urabusturbo

Painting plastics can be tricky, especially when it is a on snowplow haha. I'm sure he would work with you to find a solution, Joe stands by his work unlike lots of other bodywork guys.

Jamey

I'm sure he would but getting up there is issue and I can't drive around without a bumper .. Already got someone repainting it

i-wagon

i went the fiberglass / bondo route once trying to fix that rust. came back within a year. best is to have it completely cut out and new sheet metal fitted.

EllaE just had her quarter panels done in oxford ( i know that's a haul from bangor) for $300 a side. they cut out all the rust and welded all new metal in, painted, looks awesome.
always best to cut and re weld. I did mud on my forester and the rust came back worse the next year. Where in Oxford did EllaE go? Tom at tw custom does amazing work all around, I saw firsthand when I worked for him

sooch

Type-RA
if you ever bottom out or consistently do, you're going to lose some paint. Then after one piece flakes it will all come off....

Jamey

It's peeling off the bumper it's self where it don't hit anything .like I said no big deal it's getting fixed

Last edited by a moderator:

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
It won't flake off if flex additive is used. It costs a little more but it's worth it. Never know when you're gonna hit something, even small, that you don't see in the road.

Jamey

It's not a big deal not bad mouthing the guy I'm sure he would fix it no proub just I can't get up there and I couldn't drive around no bumper

skipow

always best to cut and re weld. I did mud on my forester and the rust came back worse the next year. Where in Oxford did EllaE go? Tom at tw custom does amazing work all around, I saw firsthand when I worked for him
she went to this guy who lives just outside of mechanic falls, works out of his garage, his names bud. i can give anyone his contact info if anyones interested. he builds hot rods and does amazing body work for short money.

bd5

My detailing shop shares the building with Bernatche Auto Body in Bangor, who I recently had cut out and weld new quarter panels in my wifes outback. They charge around $700 per side, but they do everything the PROPER way. I know, because I harass them relentlessly while they work, lol.

Downeast charged the same, but wont weld in panels, they glue them in.

JC also charged the same, but I didnt like the hygiene of their shop.

Also, as I learned the hard way, that $700 includes repairing the 80% of the rust you cant see, behind the rear bumper and in the wheel well. - edited to add that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back