BOVs and 50 PSI...ricer rant

Boostin11STI

So I posted a pic of my STI on facebook today and a guy I know from high school started asking me what I had done to it, what I plan on doing. Then he asks me if I plan on putting a BOV on it in place of the recirc valve. I explained how just a BOV is a ricer mod and how it makes a MAF setup run rich, you really need to go to a speed density setup to run one properly. Been there done that with my DSM. He then comes up with this reply:

"No
kidding .... I wouldn't say Ricer mode has a whole b/c they do serve an
important roll, but it's all about how much psi you wanna turn up the
ricers in their Honda civics aren't even pushing 30 psi ...... My wife's
Eos was pushing stock over 50 that's when if you don't have an already
circulatory system BOV is good"

So apparently less than 30 PSI is not much, and 50 PSI on a stock VW Eos? How do you argue with someone like that? Answer: I didn't, I merely said "sure if you're pushing enough CFM it makes sense." UGH! I've run a lot of turbos in my day and seen my friends run even more insane turbos than me, and only a handful with crazy setups have run more than 30 PSI, let alone 50. I think I might know one or two guys that run more than 50 PSI on track cars.

There, I have that off my chest and feel better, and hopefully you guys get a kick out of it.
default_additional_lol2.gif

The struggle to maintain control is hard at times. If it comes up again, using this example, here is a piece of useful information.

For an engine with a 9.5:1 compression ratio if you multiply the boost pressure by 23.5 you will get an approximate pre-ignition pressure. In the case of an Eos running 50 PSI, and giving it a 5 PSI loss the preignition pressure will be 1067 PSI. Once the fuel ignites that will go up considerably. From some searching that engine maxes around 12-13 psi, which is only 300 psi. Huge difference.

Latest posts

Back