brake fluid

3>4

how much brake fluid for a wrx? going with ATE super blue. some say less than 1 liter, some say more...need to know cause i need to order and don't want to be stuck waiting for more. i plan on taking it to patriot to have it done, so id assume they are efficient
default_smile.png

or is it worth it to buy a bleeder and do it myself? guess that's a separate question, but relevant seeing as how if i did it, i might want to have an extra liter handy

EvilAsPie

Buy 2. You will only use a little of half a liter, but it's good to have extra for bleeding later.

I don't even want to know how much it would be for pats to do it, and if you don't get the right person i'd be a little worried.

Get some bleeders or a friend.

It''s pretty easy to do, especially with the blue fluid.

PM me if you have an specific questions about bleeding.

3>4

okay....two liters of fluid and speed bleeders....anything else?

to have it done was $60-70 i think...bleeders and fluid are probably going to cost me that much anyways...but at least i can reuse the bleeders (right?) for next time

3>4

also, i will probably replace the pads within a couple of months...should i do it before i change the fluid? I'd rather wait a few more weeks/months since they are still fine....but i don't want to do the fluid again when i DO get new pads. I know i won't lose fluids when i change the pads, but is the thickness a big deal?

Redline

incorrect. you will need to relieve some pressure on the caliper (i.e. release the bleeder valve) so you can compress the piston back in again. you must do this, or you won't be able to get the pads over the rotors.
default_smile.png

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
incorrect. you will need to relieve some pressure on the caliper (i.e. release the bleeder valve) so you can compress the piston back in again. you must do this, or you won't be able to get the pads over the rotors.
default_smile.png
you can compress the piston without touching the bleeder. a large pair of pliers works perfectly

akinaspeedstar

yeah never had a problem with that. if i do have problems getting them over the rotor i just do what pedro said.

if you want a hand bleeding your brakes i can help. i've done it enough on evils car (friggen brake nazi) that i can probaly do it in my sleep.

Redline

you can compress the piston without touching the bleeder. a large pair of pliers works perfectly
I was always taught that was a bad way to do it, because any fluid left in the piston reservoir is best to flush out because of chemical breakdown and such. But again, that's just the way i was taught.

EvilAsPie

Yup pliers or a clamp. You can put an old pad between the tool and the piston so to get even pressure, works well.

If you don't over fill your brake reservoir you should be fine pushing the piston back in some.

Latest posts

Back