Brake Pedal Feel

EvilAsPie

The new brake setup i have seams to be perfect for my car. I'm continuesly over braking and need to let off sooner then i expect. Just will take some getting used to.

Prior to the upgrade the brakes would have a very hard time stopping the car, sometimes failing to stop the car under extreme braking. The brake pedal was mooshy and would compress about an inch past the throttle. I could quickly pump the brake pedal and get a harder feel and not be able compress it as far, the brakes still didn't work right but they felt better.

Since the upgrade pedal feel is greatly improved, and compresses just past the throttle. But it still feels a little mooshy. I can still quickly pump the brake and get a harder feel and less throw.

Does anybody have any experience with this? Is this normal? Do i still have some air in the system? Are the cups in the MC wearing out? Is this just a limitation of the double assist MC? Would the single MC mod fix this? Or am i just supper picky?

R

redlinerally

Good thing a jug of DOT fluid is only around $5-ish. Otherwise, you be hurtin' in the wallet by now.
default_smile.png

bd5

either buy a vacuum pump with a brake bleeder accessory or buy speed bleeders or find a friend.

in my case the last is the hardest... :'(

EvilAsPie

Thanks everyone. Hopefully i'll have time to do some bleeding this weekend. This is the exact reason i didn't go SuperBlue right away. Plan to though next summer for autox.

Ralli: I did go with some Goodrich SS lines. It's hard to tell what they are really like yet.

Check it out: http://xsorbit27.com/users5/subarutunersofmaine/index.php?topic=2069.0

I've read in a couple of places people referring to a proportioning valve that may be different on rear drum car vs. rear disk car. Some people change them, some don't. Even with air still in the lines my car seams the brake more level.

Any thoughts?

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
Disk or drum doesn't make a difference on the proportioning valve, RS and OBS take the same one. Did you try bleeding the brakes at the ABS motor? Try cracking ea line while some one holds pressure on the pedal. I bet you find some air.

EvilAsPie

I did do that the first time when it turned out to do a leaking caliper. I will try it again.

And you mean to do the lines coming out of the ABS right?

Will this put air into the lines? So i would have to bleed those all the way out again? I love brakes!!
default_smile.png

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
Yes, the lines coming out of the ABS pump. You won't get more air in if you have the guy holding the pedal, hold it down until you close the line. Personally, if I got air out there, I'd try to bleed it at the wheels again. Maybe. If it wasn't too late. And I still had beer left. And I felt like it. And there was nothing on TV.

EvilAsPie

okay, so i finally got around to bleeding the brakes again. It did look like i got a little air out of ABS motor, and maybe a little air out of the LR caliper. The brake petal does feel a little harder now. But i still don't get any pressure until just past the gas petal. This time i tried pushing the petal with my hand to get a better feel for it. It feels like for the first part of the throw it isn't even pushing any fluid.

This travel issue has been going on for about a year. i figured it was because my brakes were going, i've never replaced any rear shoes. That's why i did the upgrade i did. So now it's looking like there's another issue.

I'm thinking it might be the vacuum assist. Is there a way to adjust it easily? If i have to remove it to adjust or if it needs replacing i figure i'd upgrade to a single assits setup. That's sort my motto, if anything needs replacing might as well upgrade it. Any thoughts?

R

redlinerally

Is it *possible* that the linkage between your pedal and the MC is loose? I don't know much about Scoob brakes, but I know enough to toss out reasonable suggestions.

Just a thought?

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
If your vacuum assist was bad, your pedal would be hard to push, like non-power brakes only harder.

Rightseat

your master cyl may well be getting a bit tired. if you poosh down hard on heem (ye brayke petal) , does it firm up and then go softer? this would indicate that the piston or seals in MC aren't up to snuff.

DG

EvilAsPie

well, i've been driving the car the past couple of days trying to really test and push the brakes. Since the bleeding they really seam to be much better. The more i push on the petal the harder it gets, never softens up. If i hold it in one spot is stays the same. The only problems is that they aren't doing anything until the brake petal is just about lined up with gas petal.

Looking at the petal, the rod that goes into the assist looks like it has an adjustment on it, but only has a ruff surface to grab and turn with, which i tried and failed to turn.

I am thinking about taking the MC off the assist (pretty sure this shouldn't require fluid draining), taking the assist out, or at least getting it to a point where i can see how it's working and see if there is a problem with it. Is this a plausible idea or even a good idea?

Rightseat

unhook the fork that goes over MC rod and the pedal rod adjuster should spin easily. there's a spec in the service book for brake pedal free play (it's a range) but I don't recall it off top of me head.

when you put the fork back over MC rod, make sure the safety retainer clip for the pin is engaged....that would be a nassty surprise if it came loose!

DG

EvilAsPie

Got under there again yesterday and what do you know you can adjust the brake. I guess the angle i was at before i just could see it.

Thanks for the info Rightseat. Hopfully i'll have some time to play with that this weekend.

Latest posts

Back