brake ?'s

stainless

I was thinking of getting rear disks for my car this spring but have heard that it might not work for many reasons...

-it will mess up the ABS

-It can cause problems with the Diff-some one said that they are computer controled(on a 97 OBS?!?)

-no way to mount it right.

Can anyone help me out with this?

i war thinking i could get the stock rear setup from a legacy or RS...

let me know.

Rightseat

disc conversion is a moderately big project. car will be down quite a while unless you get the right parts-- ALL the right parts--in hand before starting. you will still be running to parts store or dlr for something, it's inevitable

main change is rear knuckles--finding good used ones is Step 1, then you got to get the old knuckles apart, the big bolt that holds the lateral links on is usually frozen, apply beaucoup PB Blaster and borrow a serous impact gun

finding used or rebuilt calipers is no prob, new discs, pads, brake hoses, etc

dunno about the ABS, but if you get knuckles. calipers etc from a recent donor, why not grab ABS bits too and then there should be (SHOULD BE) no issues

e-brake is another issue, you'll need parts to change that over too, scavenged off disc brake Leg forester or Imp

basically, find a disc brake car and scavenge everything, upgrade with new discs and pads at least

probly a couple other issues, too but that's what I remember on short notice

Dave G

gearsoup

Instead of friggin around with getting the knucke apart, just get everything from the diff out. That means lateral links and the trailing arm. The bolt that holds the lateral links to the knuckle is NOT going to move without a lot of persuasion.

I got my whole set-up at a junkyard for less than $150. Calipers still look decent, and the rotors still have lots of meat on them. I'll toss em on a lathe at work and clean them up.

And while it's apart, might as well toss in some braided stainless brake hoses...

Rightseat

meant to ask before, why are you modding the brakes?

if you're not racing the car, rear drums are perfectly OK. One of the guys we race with spanks WRXs and Evos regularly with a 2.2 and rear drums.

disc conversion is a pretty big project, and for a street car, it's of limited usefulness.

Dave G

stainless

ok....what about getting better front's? dont car about cross drilled not doing any major autox or decels from 100-0mph

but it would be nice to be able to drop 10-20 ft from the 60-0 distance...

shoiuld i just get better pads,t stainless brake lines. I already upgraded the tyres to summer/winter specific.

I was also thinking of stripping all the interior outr of the back and mabey geting a braile battery in the spring...

-i am still debating what to do...

Rightseat

goodridge SS lines, $99 for all 4 corners

carbotech bobcat front pads, $99

sexay Sparco diamond plate alum pedal covers, $50

fresh fluid, good bleeding job. yer done.

much betta brake feel, you'll be happy and not have to competely tear apart back end of your car

Dave G

Latest posts

Back