Brembos after track use

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Street tires.  Results: lots of screeching, calipers retain healthy glow.
9AXIijY.jpg

R-compounds.  Results: lots of grinning, calipers look awful.
whfxEht.jpg

"That was after I had my pedal go to the floor even with stainless braided lines and Super Blue fluid.  At that point I decided rather than turning my car into something worthy of this thread, I'd had my fun.  I really didn't want to start LOVING with ducting for the front brakes, and no way was I going back to street tires."

roadtrip1098

You mentioned your foot went to the floor... did the calipers actually fail or was it due to something else? Are we just looking at a discoloration issue here? 

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
when brakes overheat, fluid boils, pedal goes soft, and you have basically no brakes. once things cool down the bubbles are reabsorbed (mostly) and you have pedal again.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
I've boiled my brakes on the RS before. losing pedal feel is definitely not fun when you're going all out. Not as bad as RezDawg whos had his catch fire.

Stein

Stein
So in conclusion,

Brembos: Y or N?

I mean I know what you're going to say, but I want to hear you say it
default_tongue.png

Last edited by a moderator:

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
So in conclusion,

Brembos: Y or N?

I mean I know what you're going to say, but I want to hear you say it
default_tongue.png
No.

If you're upgrading, there are better aftermarket options. If you're tracking your STi and that's what came on them, run 'em until you want more.  If you were actually serious Nate, I'd look up the recommended brake package from my contact who used to build time attack cars.

Stein

Stein
Yeah that's what I thought. I remember hearing either you or one of the Rez Bros saying that WRX brakes with better pads were almost as good as the STI brembos anyway.

And no, I'm not looking to do the brakes on my car any time soon.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
The LDR rally cars ran basically stock Subie calipers with Carbotech or Ferodo pads and Motul RBF 600 fluid. Never-ever lost brakes (at least not without tearing out a line or somethin) and that sure wasn't for lack of putting heat into the hardware.

The RS rally car ran stock RS calipers, and the STI ran standard Subie 4-pot/2-pot setup.

Apollyon12

Ya, in the original post there was no mention of what pad was being used.   That will have the greatest effect on brake fade, of course.   He was probably using stock pad, so duh, it's going to fade.

Like to many other things, people think about spending money on bigger brakes before getting the right pad.

RedForester08

Ya my Hawk HPS will toss you into the windshield ( metaphorically speaking) the hotter they get. Stops the stock MY06 Impreza in 108 feet sporting 225/50/16 Hankooks. Will be upgrading the fluid this spring for the 60k service.

Latest posts

Back